Wired Router vs Wireless Router HELP

english15x

BSOD
Hey guys i was just curious about how to set up my internet accesability for my new computer im building.

My internet modem is in the living of my 1st floor and my new computer is going to be in my room but it is upstairs.

I have heard that wireless routers/cards recieve less of an internet connection. I want to make sure that i get the best internet signal because im going to be playing games on my computer and will also be using it for school work.

i was looking at a Dlink gaming router, i heard linksys suck, thats what i have now and im not happy with it.

thank you for your time

I'd go wireless, simply because there are less wires and less hassles. You can go wired if you feel like doing more work. All wireless routers do not suck, lol. Maybe a wired router would be better for gaming. Try getting a router that has a greater range, maybe thats the problem with your current one. Anyways I looked for a good router and heres what I came up with..

Wireless
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7007561&type=product&id=1099392512182

I use the wireless router that came with my dsl, and my wireless card is a Belkin and I get perfect signal 54mps, all the time!. Its never really slow for me at all, the router is downstairs and im upstairs. Go wireless running all them wires is really a hastle like perfect said and makes your house look a mess if you dont hide them correctly.

Okay, going wired has its benefits and I prefer it for stabability.
If your going to go wireless, go Wireless G, because its the most recent I believe.. (I know Wireless N was on its way out a while ago, is it out yet?).

Anyhow, wireless has problems operating on the same frequency as other appliances, disturbing the connection. You'll also need to secure the wireless conection.

As for a router, D-Link is good but I've used Linskys as well.. I have had no problems with either.

When I got my wireless G it ran at the same frequency(sp) as my phone, but to this date I never had a problem yet!!..

Ah, I helped a client out who had a phone operating at the frequency of her router and when she picked it up, her internet would disconnect and refuse to connect.

I think it depends on other factors to.. she had a weak connection to begin with.

If you go wireless, how far from the computer will the router be, and how many walls / floors is it going through? Any concrete, ect.?

Also, if its really far, you might want to get a repeater to strenghthen the signal.. I don't know the pricing on one of those though.

Yeah I was worried at first also, but then nothing really ever happend :)

Dev0115 said:
Yeah I was worried at first also, but then nothing really ever happend :)
At least it worked for you.. thats alot better than some of my own experiences.. ;)

I was working on a friends laptop that required a wireless connection once and didn't have a problem, but I realized how many people in my apartment complex don't secure their own connections.

Due to lack of knowledge and not securing, I made some goood money. ;)

Back
Top Bottom