Need to upgrade PC: Suggestions?

Jonny[uk]

Solid State Member
Okay i know this is my second thread today but i thought i might aswell ask.

My Specs at the moment:

AMD Athlon 2.2ghz Socket A
1gb DDR RAM [400mhz]
GeForce 6800 128mb [AGP]

My problem is that there is something dreadfully wrong with my CPU, and it's been getting worse for ages. I've done all i can think of [virus checks and defragging and suchlike] but it just gets worse. Somebody put it down to 'CPU degradation'

Being on a tight budget i can only afford so much, but i really need a new motherboard and CPU. However, i do not wish to spend £100 on a CPU and £100 on a motherboard that is AGP, to earn enough money after to buy a new GPU and have to upgrade my Motherboard to PCI-E for another £100.

Is it possible to get decent motherboards that are socket 939 and support both AGP and PCI-E so i can swap later? I've browsed my usual sites i'd buy from but i can't find anything.

Somebody might ask why i don't just get my motherboard, CPU and GPU altogether; it's because i'm on a tight budget. And i don't see the point in saving for longer for all three as i do not see any point in upgrading a 6800 to a 7800 just yet, as the 6800 is more than capable at the present time.

Nice isant it!

You could save up loadsss more money, and wait for the new socket/processor to come out...

You know how long that will be?

Oh, i also found out that my mobo does some transforming act and can also take Socket 754 so i'm thinking if i just get a Socket 754 CPU to tide me over if the new Socket comes out within a year.

I'm in the West Midlands mate but i have very limited transport available. Usually i get stuff from computer markets or www.overclockers.co.uk

And The Amish Kid, right now i have an ASRock and i can get them here, but i had a glance at that mobo and can't find out whether it is AGP or PCI-E...

Back
Top Bottom