Norton Ghost Question -Hard Drive to Hard Drive

karling07

Daemon Poster
I'm buying a new hard drive to replace my old 40GB hard drive. Both are IDE, the new one is a 200GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144129

So I have Norton Ghost v9 (Bootable) and I was wondering: will I be able to hook this drive up while the other old drive is still in there, and then copy EVERYTHING on the old drive to the new one, and then take out the old drive and boot from the new one?

Will Norton Ghost do all of this and will I have trouble with a 200GB hard drive?

Use the "copy" feature...........

Norton Ghost 9.0.................

Copying Drives

You can copy the contents of one hard drive to another. You can copy your operating system, applications, and data to a new hard drive. If the hard drive you are copying contains more than one partition, you must copy the partitions one at a time to the new hard drive.

You can use the Copy Drives feature when you upgrade to a larger hard drive or when you add a second hard drive and keep the original. You should not use the Copy Drives feature to set up a hard drive that will be used in another computer.

Ok thank you! One more quick question: Will I have to partition the new drive coming in to be able to support NTFS or whatever?

I am running XP SP2 on the 40GB drive so I know it will recognize the full 200GB of the new drive, but I just don't understand about the partitioning. Hypothetically should I just be able to plug the new drive in (with the old drive still there), check in BIOS to make sure its recognized, and then boot with Norton Ghost?

Is partitioning necessary or will Ghost do it for me? I don't want the new drive to show up only as 40GB, I want all of the 200GB.

Thanks

Also, in regards to partitioning, if needed what software should I use to do the partition? Will it come with Norton Ghost? Or will Norton Ghost actually get this all done for me?

i use the xp cd to partition..or use partition magic..both work excellent...and for your ghost cd...if you got 9.0 or later..it will boot up via cd...and then let you backup/restore using a ghost imgae...so make a ghost image of your drive that has the data on it first, then boot via cd and restore that ghost image onto the new drive using ghost...hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom