Choosing a graphics card....

MJG

Beta member
I'm sure choosing a graphics card has been covered before but I don't think the specific question I have.

I need to choose a graphics card that meets the following min. spec.

"32 MB video card using the Nvidia GeForce2, ATI Radeon 7500 AGP video card, or more recent chipset with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver"

This is in order to be able to play Command & Conquer Generals - which is on my birthday list :D .

My PC is a Dell dimension 2400, running XP home SP 2, 512mb RAM but it runs on board graphics. Pentium 4 2.66 ghz

I do not have a AGP slot nor PCI express so it will need to be a PCI card.

I've see a couple of cards available but noticed the min spec. of the PSU required is 250w. I've had the side off my Dell today and noticed the PSU is only 200w. I am reluctant to go to the further cost and hassle of fitting a higher output PSU and am wondering is it possible to get a card that meets the above spec. but does *not* need a PSU supplying over 200w.

I am niavley assuming if the card does not have a fan it will draw less power (or is this over simplification) or was considering risking fitting a card that needs 250 w and see what happens......or is this a recipe for disaster or at the very least a recipe for creating an unstable system.

Many thanks in advance.

I think, according to the specs that you have listed there, that your onboard video shouldnt be too bad, i mean in comparason to what you have there, but then again it is dell :) jk, jk, if anything, you could just go on new egg and spend 20$, its not gonna matter which one you get, it should still be good with generals.

Yeah, you could upgrade your motherboard, and really kill that game with a good graphics card.

Onboard video should work anyway, on low settings anyway...

xguynameddavex said:
I think, according to the specs that you have listed there, that your onboard video shouldnt be too bad, i mean in comparason to what you have there, but then again it is dell :) jk, jk, if anything, you could just go on new egg and spend 20$, its not gonna matter which one you get, it should still be good with generals.

Actually, onboard is a POS in every shape and form. My old GeForce2 MX 400 is actually far better than most onboard.
I have a friend, who when trying to play cs source, at min settings, would get about 10 fps. After shoving my geforce2 in there, he could run it at 640x480 medium texture settings and get an average of 50 fps.

So if you go out and find a geforce2 PCI card, it will run generals OK. I think the best PCI graphics card would be a GeForceFX 5500... but that might overwhelm your PSU...

And ZOMG, I have 666 posts!

Any current video card will do. Try this one. It more than meets the requirements but doesn't cost an arm and a leg:

CHAINTECH P-FX20 256MB Geforce FX5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145087

That's a very good brand for that particular model. I use to own two Chaintech video cards (both AGP however) so I know from experience. It's one of the best PCI video cards in the sub $100 range.

It's sorta sad how such weak video cards cost so much.

I bought a GeForce4 Ti 4200 (which is far better than that fx5200) for about $35.

I'd just buy a new mobo, psu and vid card. The cpu u have is fine, 512mb of ram will be enough. A new mobo which has pci-e and a 400W psu shouldn't cost much. Then add like a 6600GT and there u go. The total price would probably be around $250.

And just add 1 or 2 of those things to ur birthday list so u don't have to pay for them yourself :)

joxley1990 said:
Yeah, you could upgrade your motherboard, and really kill that game with a good graphics card.

Onboard video should work anyway, on low settings anyway...

Thanks everybody for the quick responses - I had presumed because that was the min. spec for the game it absolutley *had* to be a seperate videao card but what I think you are saying is that the onboard graphics 'emulate' a (low spec.) card and will preform (all be it at a much reduced level) well enough to be able at least run the game.

The game is only £10 on Amazon so I suppose I could risk buying it seeing what happens/if it runs/ how well it runs and if not happy stick it on eBay....

Back
Top Bottom