Help with formatting.

Jonny[uk]

Solid State Member
I run on Windows XP and have two HDDs, both of which are formatted in FAT32. I would like to know how i format one of them (preferably my Primary HDD) so that it is partially FAT32 and partially NTFS.

I hope this is enough information for you to help me. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CF fellow British man!

Ok, you will need to partition the hard drive you want to split, into two partitions, and then just go into disk management, then format as necessary.

Partition magic is good, but you could do it in the Windows setup if you dont want to do it on your primary HDD.

Hope this helps, post back!

James

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Problem is, i have no idea how to partition!

And about the Windows Setup thing, could you explain that further?

I would rather format my Slave drive, but i have so much important stuff on there i can't really afford to, so unless there's a good way to do it without having to delete 60gb+ of stuff it'll have to be my Primary.

How big is your primary? Is there enough space to store everything on there for now?

Or another computer on the network, tell us full specs and we can help you further!

James

My primary is 80gb and has 40bg free space. My Slave is 150gb and has 55.5bg free space. I really don't wanna swap all the stuff over if i can help it 'cus a lot of it is music and as you may know it's a pain to upload it all to itunes afterwards!

And no, i don't have another computer on the network.

I guess what i really wanna know is can i take a portion of my HDD [Primary or Slave] and format that without re-formatting the whole drive?

If that's not possible i'd like to know how to re-format my Primary into NTFS, bearing in mind i have no idea how to partition.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom