Adding A Second Hard Drive ?

Kumarrrr

Solid State Member
I need more space, Currently, I have a 120GB Seagate SATA drive, I want to add a 20GB Ultra Ata Drive, How do I jumper it ? Slave ? Master ?

If this is just a secondary storage drive, make it a slave. For the prices nowadays, you might as well get a bigger drive than just 20GB.

Mixing together a sata drive with an ide is weird, because the comp will always want to make the ide master over the sata and will boot with the ide. I had this problem earlier and could not get it to work right. I had my friend come over and mess with the BIOS until it worked.

Maybe it would be worth it to get a SATA instead? Mixing the SATA with the IDE as BigLu said will get messy, especially as only an upgrade rather than a reinstall job. I did not even know you could still get 20GB IDE Hard Drives.

Personally though I like the idea, as a reinstall job. Reinstall Windows on the IDE, and use the SATA as a Data Store. That way you get the security of having your Data all on a second hard drive, moving files around doesn't cause too much degredation on the Windows Hard Drive also. And if Windows fails and you need to reinstall without having time to backup, everything is fine!

Lord Kalthorn said:
Maybe it would be worth it to get a SATA instead? Mixing the SATA with the IDE as BigLu said will get messy, especially as only an upgrade rather than a reinstall job. I did not even know you could still get 20GB IDE Hard Drives.

Personally though I like the idea, as a reinstall job. Reinstall Windows on the IDE, and use the SATA as a Data Store. That way you get the security of having your Data all on a second hard drive, moving files around doesn't cause too much degredation on the Windows Hard Drive also. And if Windows fails and you need to reinstall without having time to backup, everything is fine!

It's a old one .. from my old box :D

Back
Top Bottom