Email Load

G9

Daemon Poster
So there was this Spanish email loaded with HTML, and as I was quickly browsing my email, I accidentally clicked it, but as soon as I did, hit the back button. How fast do viruses load up from emails?

you should be fine. most of the time virus emails come with an attatchment, and if you open the attatchment, you're done. but i think you'll be ok. run a virus check

I'm running one right now. The email didn't come with an attachment, that's what scares me.

Are you using a Web-based email app (your ISP), or using a client app (Outlook Express, Outlook, etc.)? Either way, joepic is correct. Many email viruses come by attachments. There are exploits that can take advantage of your computer using different HTML code also, so you may want to scan with your favorite spyware app, adware app, and virus scanner. You can turn off HTML code with emails, and disply text only in most apps. Feel free to review the headers, but I don't think it will help much, as many email addresses are "spoofed" in the first place to send exploits. The only way this would help is if you have your own Web/Email server, then you can block the range of IP address from where it originated. Maybe a little too much info, but I think your computer will be fine. Hope you have a good virus scanner though.

You won't get a Virus from an e-mail without an attachment. There are other ways I suppose but it depends on how you were browsing it :p Hotmail? Outlook? Live Mail? GMail? Yahoo? They'll all be safe.

Back
Top Bottom