Remote Desktop Connection?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I have been networked between 2 computers for about 2 years now, and up until 3 weeks ago been using an old network setup (cable from back of a machine to back of b machine using ICS). Now i have a Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router. Before the router, i would simply type in my ISP IP address into remote, and could access the host computer from whereever. Now, with the router, i would like to know how to access either computer using Remote Destop Connection. I can access computers on the network, but say i was at a friends house, how would this be done?
All help is much appreciated and i hope i explained clearly enough.

Thanks,

Matt

r_moore, thanks for your link, although it is not the information i was after, it was very useful. The thing is, when i key in the IP address of my ISP, it comes up that it is busy etc. The port i am sure has been opened for it, and still no good.

Matt

ah right, ya need 2 make sure the port number is open on the router and on ya fire wall on ya pc if ya have 1, i would say its the router that is the prob, coz i can only have a ventrilo server on, iv tryed makin a game server 4 BF1942, usin the port number that its says 2 use and no1 could connect and i did the same thing that i did 4 the ventrilo server.

This can be done very easily.

I'm not familiar with your router but i'm sure you can figure this out very easily. Simplly login to your router settings and look for port forwarding. You'll need to forward the port "3389" to the network IP assigned by the router to your computer. Click Start -> Run -> CMD -> ipconfig /all

I.E.

If your network IP is 192.168.1.100 - simply forward port 3389 (TCP) to 192.168.1.100

I would also suggest using a static IP on your computer that you wish to remote into. You can do this by simply setting your DHCP server to start at a IP address that would NOT include what you would use for your computer.

I.E.

If you set static IP on your computer to 192.168.1.100 - start your DHCP server at 192.168.1.101

To set a static ip - go to your network options and go to properties on your LAN connection. Click on TCP/IP and then properties. You are most likely set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"... change this to Static IP.

Set it to the preferred IP address and subnet (most likely 255.255.255.0) and use your router/gateway's IP address as your gateway and DNS server.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

jdibella, after trying what you said, Remote Desktop COnnection still comes up with the error.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

ya need 2 setup the services first

the pic shows the services on my router.
services.jpg

then ya go on the firewall settin and select the service that ya need.
bf1942.jpg

Back
Top Bottom