network sharing

Nitay10

Baseband Member
Hello.

I have in my house two PC's. One computer is connected directly to D-LINK router +614.
In the second computer there is wireless USB adapter. Now I have in both of them internet connection.

Now I want to share between them (files and printer) and I tried some ways and nothing was good.
Is it possible at all? How can I do it? Is there appropriate guide (step-by-step) that you know which will help me do so?

That's probably the best place for it, but if you don't have the D-Link USB Adapter you may run into problems even through that. Why did you buy the Router version if both computers have the Internet?

I want to explain myself better...
The internet connection in the second computer is connection by the USB adapter that receive the signals from the router!
To do the share there has to be identification in both computers of the network but there is only internet connection...

How can I configure the network at all? I have XP by the way...

Thank you.

You get to the Internet the same way from both computers, through the router. Everything on your side of the router is considered your network. This is where each computer must have its own name, and be a member of the same workgroup. It doesn't matter about the Internet connection. Even if you didn't have the Internet, you could still have a network- the router makes it possible.

This has been asked enough here that I'm considering to make a step by step guide on how to do it. I think I will. I'll post it here within a couple of days. It's some details involved that I would rather type out than try to answer question about.

You can change the computer name, right click on My Computer and select Properties. THen find the Computer Name tab. Change the name of the PC. Now by default, Wnidows gives you a domain caled MSHOME when you go through the network file and print sharing wizard. I left mine as that.

Lol, I'm driving up and down this neghborhood close to work so I can pick up a broadband signal. I keep tapping F5 to refresh until I get an unsecured connection and I got this one, which is how I'm responding to your thread. I'm parked outside a house right now, about a few blocks away from work. Got here early. So funny. People don't realize this loophole.

Haha, wouldn't work here because nobody has broadband, let alone wireless broadband :D

Your computer with the Internet has a Wireless USB Stick thing, what PCTechMike is saying is that all you need to get it on the other computer is another of those Wireless USB Sticks. Then you just set it up as you did the first one :D

Back
Top Bottom