Quitting Smoking

Because Justin cannot post, he would like me to post this for you

Hey Tommy Boy, JustinMcG67 here. Ok, I've got to tell you my opinion on you quiting smoking. First off, way to go. I know the dangers of smoking first hand. My parents have smoked, are currently smoking, but they have quit off and on, but this time it looks permanet. I've lost family to cigs as well. My grandfather died from cancer because he smoked. It was bad, not growing up with a grandfather isn't a very nice experience.

So, if you want to quit, think os others while doing so. Not only do you stop putting their lifes at risk, because you can infact get addicted to tabacco via second hand smoke. I know this first hand as well. I've tried smoking before, just to see what it was like, I didn't like it, and personally, I didn't see how it was addicting. I believe anyone can quit if they have the determination and desire to.

Which is your case, you want to quit. I totally back you up on it. Here's some tips on what you can do to stop the cravings...

- Chew gum.
- Carry water with you
- Play a game of some sort
- Workout
- Go for a run
- Talk to someone

Another thing I suggest to fight off the syptoms is to take some for of medicine and drink lots of water. This has worked for my family in the past and seems to be an overall effective method. So, try taking a few ibuprofen to fight of the dizzyness or anythgin else. And if you can, and if time allows, taking sleeping pills. You can't give in to the temptation of smoking or even have syptoms if you're asleep right? Well, going to sleep also heals the body, plus, you won't feel any syptoms, it's like killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Anywho, I just REALLY wanted to comment on this, as it's VERY important to me. Smoking is something I've grown up around and with. I knwo what it does, I know how it affects not only the smoker, but the people surronding them. I totally support you and you're effort to stop.

If you ever want to chat message me on...

AIM - smokeurbesmoked
Y!M - JustinMcG67
!! MSN - JustinMcG67@hotmail.com

Best of luck to you! :)

Don't have a long speech like others...but I lost my uncle about a year ago to lung cancer...my father is 51 years old...and has been smoking since he was about 15...It won't be long until he is diagnosed. My mother smoked for 20 years..it was much easier infact for her to quit because she went to the doctor..and he said she was beginning to get emphysema..so she stopped right then and hasn't gone back for about 8 years.

You know the risks, you want to quit, Good luck!

yeah, I don't smoke, but I know a lot about it, you'll symptoms will go away after time. give yourself time. You're doing yourself a big favor that you'll never regret.

I never smoke. I once smokeda puff when I was 4 and I almost chocked on the puff of smoke after...

God, this marked me

its your genes more then the actuall smoke. I knew a man smoked for 60 years, hes 83 quit when he was 73, he was still hunting and mowing his own yard.Its genetics buts no need to risk it.

Nik00117 said:
its your genes more then the actuall smoke. I knew a man smoked for 60 years, hes 83 quit when he was 73, he was still hunting and mowing his own yard.Its genetics buts no need to risk it.

I am sorry but your wrong there, not completely but you are wrong, there is a proven link between lung, mouth and cancers and smoking, it increases your chances of getting cancer dramatically, and the risk is not worth it. Its not all about genetics, a horrific illness such as cancer is at present more about the external factors, for example radiation, and how they affect the cells, that become cancerous.

Research is always on the go in regards to the increased risk of those who have had parents, grandparents in their history, and it has been discovered that there are links for certain kinds of cancer, such as breast cancer. However most of this research is still new, and ongoing.

There will always be the lucky people who smoke for years and will never get sick from it, just as there will be the unlucky people who never touched a cigarette in their lives, and will suffer from cancer. I am talking as a smoker, I know the risks, I know the damage it causes but for the people who say just quit its not always that easy, again for some it is, for others it isn't.

I apologise to any person who has had loved ones, friends who suffered from cancer, and what I have said, I am trying to just show that its not always a person's genetics that will say whether this happens or not, there is always a major influence from the environmental factors, and many of those we are still finding out about, as many of the major technological advances have only been in the last 2-3 generations and they are still new.

I go to the gym 4 times a week, I swim in the morning 5 times a week before work, but I still smoke, its something I turn to when I am stressed. Its unfortunate and I am slowly learning to use other methods of stress relief such as a good workout.

It becomes routine with smoking, for example, I am used to smoking at the computer, and when I sit here for a period of time I automatically want a cigarette, however when I work where I can't smoke I am fine and will go without for the day, with smoking the physical symptoms are insignificant to the pyschological ones, to break that is the key, and I plan to in the very near future.

In regards to replacing cigarettes with something else, yes that works to a certain extent, but you have to learn to live without cigarettes thats the key, as the alcoholic has to learn to live without alcohol, and the heroin addict has to live without heroin, its a battle, but one I am sure that nearly every person can battle, because the sad thing is that cigarettes will kill you in the end.

Geneics play a HUGE ROLE. Life style too... I mean example my friend hes always mad because he simply can't get bigger. He is 135, man is pure musle he benchs 155, which for his weight is like holy crap good. But no matter what he does he can't loose a pound.

But smoking is bad, pointless, and bad did I mention mad!

Its not worth the money, nor the hassle.

However I personnally can't stand smoke and don't have a problem with it.

Hey...thanks for all the support guys, it helps
This really helps when you talk to people who have gone through this or have parents/family members etc..who have gone through this.
Today was better, I felt a lot better and the fresh air and a good days work did me a world of good. I'm trying to help my boss quit also and he's having a harder time with it than I am, but he's getting there, just takes time.
Once again thanks for the support guys..I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom