non responding keyboard and mouse

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
So my dad has a dell e510 computer. Randomly after use of about a month the keyboard stopped responding. However it still responds in the bios setup. I contacted dell online support, they told me to uninstall it from the device manager and restart. this solved nothing so they gave me a file to download tat should fix it. lo and behold after downloading the file the mouse stopped responding. dell then told me to do a whole bunch of bull-shit steps that made no sense at all such as holding down the alt key while the computer was off for 10 seconds. Any ideas?

that's a good advice,you better try another keyboard and mouse.it might be a hardware failure.use a plug and play kb&mouse if you have available there.

Well, If you can get on the internet, and use your mouse, then get into task manager, and try and download the drivers.

Although it could be as simple as replacing the keyboard and mouse, it sounds like you have more issues than just that. Something else could be on your computer, which could be causing the issue. I would try a different keyboard and mouse (ask to borrow before you buy one). Also, are these devices USB, or PS2? If they're USB, it could be an issue with the USB controller. If not, and they are PS2, try the first suggestion.

But in my experience, its another program not letting the drivers load for the hardware. I say update them, and if that doesnt work, then by all means replace them. Hell, for like 20bucks you can get a keyboard and mouse set.

i cant get past the logon screen cause i cant use the mouse to click the login button on the logon screen so i can't try and update them. these devices are usb. when i get home ill try a new mouse and keyboard, see if that works. Dell wants me to reformat my computer over this, lol. If it's the usb controller, and the computer is still under warranty, do you think dell would replace it?

Back
Top Bottom