Windows problems and unexpected restarts

huntercook33

Beta member
Hey this is my first time posting on here, I am having some problems with my computer and I can't figure out how to fix them. I've searched the whole day and tried everything I've found with no luck. First off let me tell you what I have.

Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD Sempron 3200+
-I think its an ASUS MB-
GeForce 4 256meg video
512mb DDR400
On-board sound
On-board lan
Maxtor 120gb HD

Okay so a few months ago my motherboard's AGP port stopped working so I sent it back. When I got it back I put my processor in and it said "CPU has been reworked ..." or something to that effect. And it was only reconizing around 900 mhz. This was the first problem but I just ignored it and went about my life.

A week ago I installed Norton System Works, with the go-back protection. When I shut down my computer for a day and came back to turn it on it kept saying something about goback as soon as I booted up (before it started to load windows). So I disabled the go-back threw there. Also now my computer is reconizing all of my processors ghz and no cpu error message anymore.

Next I would try to load XP and while it was loading the computer would just turn off, no blue-screen, no error messages, and no restarting. Just turned off. So I tried safe mode, this works SOMETIMES, I could get into windows a few times and try to see what the problem was, with no luck. It would also just turn off about 5 minutes into safemode, again with no error messages. I tried the safe mode again and now its saying "Unmountable_boot_volume" with a STOP error number. I've tried to use the windows xp setup cd, once it gets done loading all the drivers, the computer just turns off. Also when I try safe mode now it will just turn off when the long list of drivers being loaded ends.

This is really... making me mad. I can't do anything to fix this and I can't find any resources to help. If you guys could give me a hand or some help I'd be greatly welcome. Thanks.

It sounds like it is a hardware related issue, instead of Windows..
Computers ussually shut off if their becoming overhearted as well.

If you go into BIOS, can you tell me the temperature readings in BIOS?
Also, check the fan speeds in your BIOS.. make sure their all spinning..

I don't know exact tempeture but I do remember checking it in bios and it was fine. I keep the whole side of my case off so it usually is always pretty cool. How would I run the test if I can't even get to safe mode?

huntercook33 said:
I keep the whole side of my case off so it usually is always pretty cool.

Never do that!
Opening your case up disrupts the intended airflow and lets other particles such as dust and things found in the air that could easily destroy your hardware.

Your computer will actually heat up more and suffer more wear and tear if you do this..

Back
Top Bottom