Overclocking your CPU, How to do it easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OutstandingO said:
Whats that supposed to mean? How would I do that?

Take the battery out, wait 30 seconds, and put in back in. Either that, or you do it through a CD, by burning an ISO file on it...

I know this guide has been here a while but this was the first time I actually read it all the way through. It was a very good guide. I would be too lazy to do anything like that. I just have a few suggestions though.

The HT frequency is how the cpu communicates with the chipset. The multiplier times your fsb should be 800mhz-1100mhz. So like if your fsb was at 300 you would want your HT multiplier set at 3(3x300=900).

Also if you dont want to run at a divider you can just loosen the timings on your memory. Mainly your CAS, TRAS, Trcd, and Trp numbers. Usually you willnt want to lower them any more then 3-4-4-8. Then if your memory isnt stable after that you can always increase your memory's voltage. If you dont understand that then run a divider.

99nasha said:
Stupid Thing doesnt let me post that many pics...Heres the other 2 which are needed. See the annotations

PIC 1
p4.jpg

PIC 2
tutorial1.jpg

In pic 2, you say ignore the secondary memory settings. For a person new to overclocking that is fine, but with certain type of chips, certain timings are better. For example, old school BH and CH ICs like to have higher drive strengths.

And this is basically only a good guide for AMD64s. Sure they are popular, but im pretty sure that some people around here also use AXP and P4s.

Overclocking is stupid... If u r buying a 2000$ computeryouy should get a bunch of dual cores and more it is retarted to take a risk of messing up your computer....

Mac:20 Inch intel 2Ghz core duo !!!

No its not really.

Overclocking does not damage your components if you are careful.

All it does is simply brings out the best the components in the chip can do, by boosting manufacturing speeds. If you don't go too high, no damage is made, and you can simply usually revert back if anything goes wrong.

All you are doing when overclocking, is sending varied amounts of voltage to the components on a PCB, i.e a motherboard or CPU.

Because the chips are just chips, like gates that carry electrical current, overclocking can be a worthy thing to do, and doesn't have to damage components if you are careful.

Yes, its possible to kill a component by shoving it with too much voltage compared to its standard, but being careful allows for controlled and sometimes excellent results.

It also means people with not much money can get a really good computer, simply by overclocking a CPU to a higher clock rate than specified on the package, and getting ALOT more for your money, and even to the point where you surpass much higher costing CPU's for NO more money.

Overclocking isnt bad at all, unless you are not aware of what you are doing and accidentally set the Vcore to stock+100%, then its absolutly fine. or, you mess up the VDIMM that could cause some problems too. But CAS tRAS and all the other memory settings wont kill your computer. Just clear things up, some people invest a lot of money on cooling and buy a simple yet effective computer.

hello, ok reading what you have just written about ocing your cpu. let me just get this one thing straight. It would be easier to overclock the cpu if I had ram that was at a faster speed. for example if i got this ram TWINX2048-4400PRO ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html ) then i would be able to overclock my cpu (athlon 64 4000+) to the adequate level that the cpu will handle without having to worry about ocing my ram within line of it. i ask this as i am on the verge of buying big new shiny expensive ram and would like to maybe start ocing my system. i have a dfi lan party ultra d so all the options are there to start doing it and a zalman cooler (see sig) to keep the heat down.

EDIT: also can anyone tell me of secure ways in which i can test the overclock. what software to use and how long i should test them before deciding that the system is stable.

Well I usually use SuperPi 1M as just a quick test of stability. You can run a larger test like the SuperPi 32M test. If you really want to test the stability though you should use Prime95.

As for ram that corsair you suggested is good. Not many 2gb kits can run 275mhz. Another option would be to get memory that uses UCCC chips. This memory will do atleast 250mhz. Some good kits though have gotten close to 280mhz(I think). Or you could get memory that uses infineon chips those will do 250mhz with tighter timings. If you want UCCC(which is cheaper) I would go with this stuff
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219

If you want some infineon I would go with this memory
http://www.tankguys.biz/team-xtreem-cronus-25448-pc4000-infineon-p-1545.html?manufacturers_id=62

Use Prime95 for cpu, and memtest and 32M Pi for memory. The corsair is pretty good, its among some of the best RAM so far. UCCC usually get around 270, 280+ if you get a good set. Be aware that Infineon CE and BE die chips arent doing so well right now. But it might be different now. The RAM that amish kid posted are pretty good.

hello i have read some forums, a few here, a few more there about overcloking the athlon 64bit cpu. what i have seen is guide after guide all wrote in a differnet way but still as confusing as the last. im starting to get to grips with its all about and understand what is what now but what i havnt seen and might be a good idea is for someone to write thier own personal experience of how they overlcoked thier a64. starting with normal stock speed, what extra cooling you had and which ram you picked etc. then you could go on to say i altered this setting this much as to see what happened. this did this so then i did that. booted it up into windows tested it tested it and then tested it some more. restarted it then changed this setting blah blah blah... had this problem this time as it showed this error when testing it so i reduced this setting blah blah blah... until you get to the final show down... good clocks speed out of a tiny cpu or a blown up processor thats cost you a good £150. also give a time frame for everything you do. as one thing i havnt seen much of is how long it takes to do this kind of thing. i believe this kind of guide would then give a person (who has no experience) an idea of what is really needed of them and a basic idea of what happens. then stress that each cpu and ram no matter if they are from the same factory of the same manufactor from the same production line in the same production week might not be able to get the same speeds doing the samething but to just use it as an example.

what do you think of it? any body up to it?

EDIT: unless anyone already knows of one out there? if so could you post the link, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom