Project Offset game engine

Yeah its true. Good programmers can do wonders!

In games, we do get messy code all the time.

Its not jus the graphics that are annoying in the Tomb Raider demo, even though they are pretty naff, even on full.

Its the fact that even on my computer I can run the demo, and it'll perform an illigal operation and will have to be shut down before it even starts. Then I can restart, and it'll work, but its only worked once! I tried it just now and it crashed again!

The Xbox 360 version looks alot better from what I've seen, and adds life to the graphics, but yes, the camera still doesn't work very well in my opinion.

But yeah, engines are ging to be very complex, and even though I've updated my card to a 6800GS, it looks like, in the whole play of things, it was pretty much a waste of time, if I wanted to be playing games in the next year or so on high settings.

Kage said:
I just witnessed this new game engine thats going to be running Project Offset, and is going to be used on next gen games, and I think it even surpasses the Unreal 3 engine. The graphics look so cinematic, its unbelievable!

I'll let you witness it too, and you can tell me what you think here :p

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/764/764837/vids_1.html

http://www.projectoffset.com/downloads.html (HD versions)

Wow, its simply amazing how complex game engines are becoming, and how realistic games are beginning to look as well. One day you might not be able to tell much difference between a game, and reality.. virtual reality.

Yeah, especially with all the shaders that are going to be used in games now. Any material in the end should be able to be recreated completley realistically, and that will lead to realism.

All they then need to sort out are the advanced visual effects, though we have most of them. Stuff like haze, etc will add alot to the realism.

Then theres the models in games which are also getting complex. In the next year or two, I imagine texture sizes will become so big that you won't be able to tell that a texture is being repeated, and will look so life like and crisp, they'll be no more advancements in that area.

Then with Direct X 10 coming along, you won't have any uncurved surfaces, and so a wheel on a car will be completly round with no octagon effect (what I call it)

I'm sure were only a few steps away from this.

Then of course, cards will get faster at rendering the game for more FPS in ever higher resoloutions, which may even bring in another form of HD.

SHD - Super High Definition maybe? :p

GAME ENGINE:

Then all that needs to be worked on is the physics engine, and game engine to make the game playable. This needs alot of work in new games, as even with cinematic visuals. The in game view we have in games now doesn't cut it.
Some how, we need added camera views, but still allow it to be played while playing, smoothly, and without a hitch. Something we can't yet do with games.

I know Resident Evil has this kind of effect, but I'm talking about something more ground breaking than that. Something that will revoloutionise game engines as we know it.

CONCLUSION:

Maybe we'll end up with one game engine capable of all the above that every company will use and update slightly at will? So updates will become available, and there won't be loads of game engines anymore. Just one universal one capable of ANYTHING.

Kage said:
----------------------------------

I've just installed the Tomb Raider Legends demo and I can run at full resoloution, with antialising, with all the settings turned on, and I still get more than 60fps.

The only thing is, even on my 6800GS, the Advanced Graphics (or something like that) is blanked out, and can't switch it to ON.

Though it does say the recommended video card is 512MB of RAM and a Geforce 7800 or higher. Maybe thats what that option does. Adds better textures.
It might just be because its only a demo of the game. I know that on the Quake 4 demo you cant use the ultra graphics setting.

allenn812 said:
Your 6800GS probly will run it at low settings.
damn i was going 2 get the 6800GS for my birthday from my gf!! and it's this thursday! now i am going 2 have 2 upgrade again when vista comes out >.<

I wouldn't be so hard on it. It might fare well in those games at lower resoloutions, though its the shader pipelines that are going to matter in the long run more and more.

The 7800GS would probably fair a bit better, but costs about £40-60 more... which is why I went for the 6800GS.

As for the Tomb Raider demo, that might be it :)

Read my thread though "Games and their operations :(". I'm having a serious problem... :(

EDIT:

You might also want to note, since this engine seems alot better than the Unreal 3 engine, it was made by 3 people. Yes, you saw right, 3!

Kage said:
I wouldn't be so hard on it. It might fare well in those games at lower resoloutions, though its the shader pipelines that are going to matter in the long run more and more.

The 7800GS would probably fair a bit better, but costs about £40-60 more... which is why I went for the 6800GS.

As for the Tomb Raider demo, that might be it :)

Read my thread though "Games and their operations :(". I'm having a serious problem... :(

EDIT:

You might also want to note, since this engine seems alot better than the Unreal 3 engine, it was made by 3 people. Yes, you saw right, 3!

On april 7th, a patch or somthing is comming out for the demo, that will unlock the advanced settings in tomb raider. Im guessing it will look much better with it turned on. So say good by to the 60+ fps! lol

oh... :p Thanks for that, hehe.

I can't run the demo at the moment anyway though...and I've deleted it :( Read my post on "Games and their Operations" to find out why :(

Back
Top Bottom