Is it possible to take your processor out and put in a new one?

chaospoodle

Solid State Member
I have a Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz processor. Would it be possible to buy a better processor, open my computer, take out the old, and install the new? If so, which would you reccomend? I'm sticking with Intel. What is a good Intel processor better than mine?

One that can withstand even more demanding things.

As long as the new processor you choose is socket LGA775 then you can most definitely swap in a new processor. It's just that you are limited by the socket form factor.

Most of those HT Intel Processor Sockets are still used quite thoroughly, if you know the Socket you'll find loads of good Processors for it I'm sure.

To find out the socket type you have, you can do the following:

Download this handy tool: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
Its called Everest FREE and will list all of your system's hardware, specs, ect.

Once installed, open and you will see a list of possible choices on the left.
Open 'Motherboard' and click on CPU.
The information your looking for should be found under "CPU Physical Info" and listed as Package type.

Wll, if it is a Socket 478, you might want to buy a 3.2GHZ HT EE...that's about the highest.

I thought the P4 were 775? Ah well, i dont know a whole lot about intel processors..

chaospoodle said:
I have a Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz processor. Would it be possible to buy a better processor, open my computer, take out the old, and install the new? If so, which would you reccomend? I'm sticking with Intel. What is a good Intel processor better than mine?

One that can withstand even more demanding things.

Why yes my friend you can easily take youre processor out and replace it with a better one :), and youre processor doesnt Seem that bad but I dont know
whats highest Gigahertz with out over clocking? id say go with the highest Gigahertz you can get :)

Back
Top Bottom