Wireless Network Problem - LAG

JoeyTee

Beta member
Hello everybody - nice forum you have here. : )

I am in search for some advice on fixing my wireless internet connection.

Before I explain the problem I will give you some information that you may need in order to help me:

Computer Specs:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2
Intel® Pentium® 4 516
Cache memory 1MB
2.93GHz
533MHz
512MB DDR
HDD size 160GB

Wireless Internet Set Up:

NETGEAR DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router:

dg834gv2.jpg

2.4GHz
802.11g

Firmware Version 3.01.25

NETGEAR WG111 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter:

wg111v2h1.jpg

Ok, so now for the problem.

Problem

The wireless internet connection runs smoothly with no problems whilst browing websites and downloading files, however whilst playing an online game (for example: counterstrike) my internet suffers from sudden 'bursts of lag' roughly once every 60 seconds. These lag bursts cause the game to freeze momentarily (roughly 2 seconds, never more, never less). Apart from these lag bursts online games run very smoothly with no problems whatsoever.

I have recieved feedback from somebody who mentioned that the problem may lie within the WG111 USB Adapter - they said that USB Adapters often give these 'lag bursts'. This person suggested that I replace my USB Adapter with a wireless PCI Card - but I would like to be sure that this would solve the lagging problem before I purchase a PCI Card.

Thank you for reading, any response would be greatly appreciated. :)

- Joe

Do you have port forwarding OR DMZ set up? (Note that i said OR! not and/or. You shouldn't have DMZ and port forwarding working at the same time)

For example, if couterstrike were to use port xxxx, you should have port xxxx forwarded to your computer's IP.(Which could be, for example, 192.168.y.yyyy.)

Or, Set up DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) on your router to your computer's IP.(Which could be, for example, 192.168.y.yyyy.)

Thank you for the quick reply !

Sorry David, I'm not very computer literate and do not know the answer to your question.

I am unaware of which I am using (Port Fowarding or DMZ).

How can I find out which I am using ?

Every game/service will use different ports.

Ill found out counter strike for you, but if you need it in the future use google to try to find it, or through the products website.

Counterstrike uses (if im not mistaken) UDP ports 27005 thru 27030. You can open these ports on your routers setup page using your computers IP.

However, I reccomend you use DMZ.

To get to your router's setup page, go to 192.168.1.1 OR 192.168.2.1...Those are the most common. If its not one of those, look through the manual.

Find out how to get to the DMZ page, also through your manual perhaps. When there, type your computers IP adress (the one starting with 192.168...)

To find this, go to START, RUN and type cmd. Then type ipconfig /all

Look for your ip and type that into the DMZ box. Then click ok or apply or something like that and then counter strike might be better.

Unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem, thank you for helping me though ( you explained what to do very well :) )

Any other ideas ?

I've been putting some thought into wireing up my internet instead of using wireless. My parents will not allow me to run a cable through the house (upstairs to downstairs) so that is not an option.

However I was wondering if I could reverse the current setup of my internet connection, meaning having my computer upstairs wired, and the downstairs computer wireless. This would mean the router beeing upstairs in my room wired to my computer, and the USB wireless adapter connecting the computer downstairs.

My room currently has no phone sockets, etc in it at all.

What exactly do I need to do to enable my router to be upstairs in my bedroom ? (e.g. have a phone socket installed ?)

Not sure that would solve anything.

The problem could be that your internet is too slow. What speed is your internet?

DSL? (1mbps average)
DSL Lite? (600k)
Cable? (1.5-3mbps)
Higher?

If you have dsl lite, or ESPECIALLY dial up that would cause it for sure, but DSL (1 mbps and up) and up wouldnt be the problem...

Also, could be other non-network related things.

Take a look at your computer specs. Maybe your video card doesnt meet the specifications, or only meets the bare minimum. Also could be your CPU speed or processor. (If you have a celeron or pentium 2..etc...)

Beyond that could be anything... :confused:

I have 2mb broadband so my internet speed wont be the cause of the problem. Also I have a pentium 4 (see first post - comp specs).

I've searched the internet for my problem and have found people with identical circumstances (one person has EXACTLY the same problem...same wireless products, etc)

I have ordered a new graphics card which is arriving on wednesday which cost me £130 (Geforce 6800 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP) , so perhaps that will help. Hope so.

Hmmm... have you got the space to test it with a cable? That would cancel out any other problems it might be and answer whether getting the PCI Card, which would display a more stable wireless connection, will work.

Back
Top Bottom