Doom 3 exceedingly high frame rate

Too high FPS sometimes makes you confused. That's what I think...like 427FPS...I couldn't get my face concentrated....too fast.

The only thing I did to my hardware was a small OC of my CPU to 2.4GHz, GPU was left pretty much stock. That's it.

The FPS rate in Doom 3 was automatic. I guess the game detected what my hardware was capable of and bam. The darn readout in the upper right hand corner was 339fps and sometimes higher. It fluctuates really fast. Between stages, it's a dull 3-5fps, but once the action gets going again, it jumps to 200-340fps. I honestly didn't do anything else.

If those of you that have Doom 3 for PC, try this code:

Com_Fixedtic -1

Put that into the console prompt in the game and what that does is it removes the 60 FPS limit. So I guess your hardware is free to speed it up to whatever it can handle. Yeah, my PC was stressing. Big time. A nice test though. It had to shut down because it was getting too hot. I think I posted this before, but my CPU got insanely hot like around 60ish degrees before it shut down. GPU rose from around the mid 60 degrees to high 80's eventually and nearing the 90 degree mark. It took close to an hour for my machine to get this hot. If you play it on that speed for just a little bit, it won't make too much difference to your CPU and GPU, but keep playing the game for around an hour, you'll see the temps slowly go up. I'll see if I can get a screenshot of it.

I know the GPU could handle it, but the CPU fail to hold up and everything crashed. There was a long pause when it attempt to restart the PC. I got scared for a moment that something got damaged, but when it finally booted, I was relieved. I don't seen any type of horizontal tearing as the image was pretty good as usual. I did notice that when I used the code to go through walls, lol. Image got screwed up pretty big at that point. Yeah, I'm such a big cheater. I hate those doors that won't let me go through.

lol yeah i would be a little worried too to have my computer crash because of an overheated CPU too. You are lucky that nothing bad happened

How could you not have seen any tearing? Whenever I don't have V. Sync on, it gets AWFUL!

I don't see anything abnormal while playing that high. Looks the same regardless if I were to reset it back to 60fps or 330fps. I played it for quite awhile just going through the levels and blasting away. Looks as clean as it can be. When you start to walk through walls, then it get a little wierd. You see all kind of fragments here and there. Black open space fills up and you can actually see all the rooms pertaining to that stage. It's like a 3d map view of that level.

i didn't think of tearing, I am surprised you didn't experience any of that.

That's weird. Does that have anything to do with the monitor you use? Because you have a nice one, and I have a... not-so-nice one.

Looks good. Monitor can have something to do with it too, but in my case, not significantly. Here's another screenshot at an even higher frame rate:

Maybe it's because I'm playing it in a smaller window instead of full screen.

*My PC is getting too hot again. I had to close it before something happens. I can see the GPU and CPU temps rise while I was playing the game. At one point, it actually hit 400fps!!!!

Back
Top Bottom