Jumpdrive won't work!

You can use DevCon command line to remove all devices related to USB thumb drives.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q311272

That command line should be able to dig into the registry, remove any traces to the USB drive, essentially forcing Windows Xp to install the drivers for the USB thumb device again.

Quick Tips:

Download DevCon.exe
Plug in your USB thumb drive
Open up command line and type in the following command (making sure the CMD can find DevCon.exe)

devcon.exe find usb\*

It should list a number of USB devices. Watch out for USB Mass Storage Device
To the left, there is a string of serial number, i.e. USB\VID_0781&PID_5151\SNDK2FCA65161B809607 (it should be different on your machine)
Copy the string
Next, issue the following command

devcon.exe remove <insert the string here>

Press enter.

Remove the USB thumb device.. Reinsert it again. Windows Xp should tell you that it discovered "new" device, aka the USB thumb device.

What is command line? is that like the "run" thing...I clicked on the thing I downloaded and it unzipped somthing but I don't know where.

Edit: how do I make windows "find" devcon, I found the unziped folders but when I type things into the 'run' thing it says devcon can not be found or somthig like that :confused:

I never used this before, so I'm not sure. I'm guessing it's the command line in the program you downloaded? It looks complicated, but I'm sure there are other means on fixing that USB drive.

Are you having problems with your other USB devices sometimes? Or is it only the thumbdrive having the problem?

Sometime, the PC's operating system may take as long as 5 minutes to find a device. It goes through a process called enumeration. Flash drives can take up to a minute to be seen. Try just plugging it in, don't fiddle with anything, and have patience. Limit the number of USB devices to two (or unplug all your other USB devices and just plug in your thumbdrive to see what happens). If that doesn't help, I'm thinking of trying to use a USB active hub.

WTF??

Okay, now I am really pissed!!! My fuking iPod won't show up!!! here is a pic
SHIT.jpg

So wtf is mested up with my computer?? Why all of th sudden the usb drives are screwed? Like, windows knows that somthing got plugged iun or whatever but won't let them run or somthing...

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Back
Top Bottom