chkdsk

flablonde

Solid State Member
I have been trying to defrag my computer. Everytime I try to defrag the C drive I get the following message:

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: PRESARIO (C:).Please run Chkdsk /f.

Then I run it and I still get the message.

What my big problem is that my computer runs very slow and I want to upgrade the guts of it, the memory, the processor, etc.

So, any suggestions on how to defrag the thing and / or any suggestions on my doing my upgrade.

Please help me before I get the hammer out!!!

thanks.
flablonde

That's what I tried to do and then got that message. I defragged D but it states

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: PRESARIO (C:).Please run Chkdsk /f."

It won't defrag.....

also, any ideas on what i should upgrade to increase performance on the computer?
thanks.

Am still getting the chkdsk error. Any clue on how to turn off chkdsk? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I downloaded the trial version of diskeeper and it also stated it could not work as the chkdsk function needed to be run.

Please help.....I don't want to have to buy another computer!!!!

I know I am not the brightest bulb but I know I can defrag my computer....even tho the roots are blonde....

Thanks.
flablonde

Ha ha, you wont have to buy another computer!(lets hope not)

The chkdsk is that 'Scan Disc"? That you are trying to run or is it the actual defrag?

If you are wanting to defrag and thats not working then usally you can go to 'Scan Disc' and it find any errors you have on you HD, then 'usally' defrag will work, and what i mean by 'usally' is if you dont have a heap of errors and crap like that stopping it.
Also if no programs arent cause'n interferance then it will run..(both the defrag and scan disc)

Not sure if thats what you mean? :confused:

Start > Run> chkdsk /f

Try defrag onwards. If it still doesn't work, I'll got with big guns.

Run the disk cleanup first. MS balks if there is a lot of garbage on the drive. Also you don't say what size and how full the drive is. If you have less than 15% of the drive left there is not enough room on the drive to run defrag. Take off some files and give it some room to work. Another thing is chkdsk is run as a boot item. Meaning you tell it to run it and it asks if ok to run on next boot. Tell it yes and reboot.

Okay I did disk clean up and was finally able to run chkdsk, but it had errors and I don't know what they are as the screen just blipped away......

On Diskeeper 10, it states I have 69% free space. So that may not be an issue.

Any ideas?

I must have a lot of errors that are stopping the chkdsk and I don't know what to do....

Help!!! Please.....this is one of the few items that wasn't taken during Hurricane Ivan and I have to admit I am somewhat emotionally attached to it. I am attached to everything I have that wasn't "ivanized"

thanks so much for the suggestions so far.........

are you running disk defrag under safe mode? If you aren't, try that and see if it makes a difference. I used to have an old computer that would not defrag unless in safe mode. Im just throwing out the suggestion...

Back
Top Bottom