X1900XT vs. 7800GT

Quinton McLeod said:

This is true. He could do that, but he'd be better off with a 7900 GTX and then overclocking that with the Kingwin Video Card Cooler. Not only will he spend less, but he'll get true X1900XTX speeds and maybe higher.

HOw much does the 7900GTX cost? I can't remember off the top of my head, but isn't it cheaper then the X1900XTX? Not to mention, if he was to get the 7900GTX, he'd max out all his games and he'd have nearly the same exact visual quality as an X1900XTX. When it comes down to it, the X1900XTX is faster, but in reality does 5 frames really make a huge difference? NOt really. Go with whichever you want and whichever best suits your budget. :)

No offense Quinton, but sometiems, I think some of your thoughts (I've seen many of your other posts because of your font change) are quite wrong. That's just my opinion, and thanks for the input, but there's no way I'd consider a 7900GTX. You say the X1900XT is not faster than the 7900GTX, but the X1900XTX is. The difference between these cards is a few megahertz on the core and memory clock speeds. So, obviously, the X1900XT, providing your facts are straight, is extremely close to performance as the 7900GTX. Wouldn't it be a little smarter to get the X1900XT, save almost 200 bucks (since the only 7900GTX in stock is an expensive Asus at Newegg, and that's where I'm buying from, no question) and get a better cooler all at the same time? Not to mention, in the future, for CrossFire, which has proved itself to be quite competable (if that's a word... :D) against SLI, beating it out in some/most scenarios. Not to mention, it is a newer technology as well, and I do believe bugs are still being worked out.

And, hey, I'm not getting an aftermarket cooler right as I get the card. And, well, if the card won't overclock with the stocker on there, then boo-hoo. If it doesn't, then a new cooler will be a considered option. But, from what I've seen on reviews (I've done my research) is that people have been able to easily overclock the X1900XT to XTX speeds without a hitch whatsoever, and a few people have said it runs too hot to do that. Well, maybe I'll get lucky, maybe I won't. Not a big deal.

That's my take on it.

Justin, the only 7900GTX on Newegg is almost 100 dollars more than the X1900XTX. For the record.

JustinMcG67 said:
HOw much does the 7900GTX cost? I can't remember off the top of my head, but isn't it cheaper then the X1900XTX? Not to mention, if he was to get the 7900GTX, he'd max out all his games and he'd have nearly the same exact visual quality as an X1900XTX. When it comes down to it, the X1900XTX is faster, but in reality does 5 frames really make a huge difference? NOt really. Go with whichever you want and whichever best suits your budget. :)

You make a good point. Alright, I'm wrong.
He's better off with an X1900XTX

I didn't mean to offend you, I just stated what I was thinking. However, I will be off better with a X1900XT, and not even an XTX, only since the difference is a few megahertz on the memory and core clocks. If need be I will buy a new cooler and overclock the jeebus out of it, but otherwise, I'll see how it does on the stocker and see what it'll pull with that on there.

...Sounded like I was talking about some kind of an automobile, there, but oh well, y'all get the idea! :D

EDIT: One more thing, my PSU has 26 amps on the 12 volt rail, with 520 watts (not peak)... The X1900XT(X) recommends a 450 watt PSU with 30 amps on the 12 volt rail. You think I'll be okay with what I have? I think so, but I'm not sure.

Quinton McLeod said:

You make a good point. Alright, I'm wrong.
He's better off with an X1900XTX

I was actually agreeing with you saying that he should save himself money.

But, whichever card he chooses to get, will without a doubt provide exceptional visual quality, there's no doubt about that. :)

Jamxx said:
I didn't mean to offend you, I just stated what I was thinking. However, I will be off better with a X1900XT, and not even an XTX, only since the difference is a few megahertz on the memory and core clocks. If need be I will buy a new cooler and overclock the jeebus out of it, but otherwise, I'll see how it does on the stocker and see what it'll pull with that on there.

...Sounded like I was talking about some kind of an automobile, there, but oh well, y'all get the idea! :D

EDIT: One more thing, my PSU has 26 amps on the 12 volt rail, with 520 watts (not peak)... The X1900XT(X) recommends a 450 watt PSU with 30 amps on the 12 volt rail. You think I'll be okay with what I have? I think so, but I'm not sure.

You should be fine, but if you were doing SLi or CrossFire, then you'd be in trouble.

Yeah that's it. I own it. Yes, it is huge, yes it will keep it cool. It should fit the X1900XT. But trust me when I say that it's a beast. The heatsinks alone weigh, and I'm being serious, about 2 pounds. The fans aren't really even needed, as the heatsink and heatpipes keep it so cool it's just crazy. It's well worth the money. However! Don't even bother following the instructions. They suck. Just figure it out on your own. If you need help, you can just PM me and I'll lend assistance. But, it's worth the money. :D

Should I just go ahead and order the dang thing with the X1900XT? Obviously, I'd wait to make sure that it worked, so I could RMA if I had to, and if I can overclock to what I want to with the stock cooler and it isn't too...........

Oh, heck, I'd just throw it on there if it works! :D Might as well. And I thought the cooler would be much more expensive, but that's only 30 bucks with shipping! Not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom