Desktop Freezing

themartinacster

Beta member
Ok. I finally recieved my copy of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I've had it for about a week now. My system is:

Radeon X850XT PE PCI-E
250gb HDD
1gb RAM
P4 HT 3.0
Windows Xp Media Centre Edition 2005

The day I bought the game I updated my video card drivers to Catalyst version 6.3. I have been playing the game up until today. I logged into my computer, and my desktop freezes. All my icons are there, but nothing works, and when I put my mouse over the start menu, that waiting cursor appears, and all i can do is use Ctr+Del or restart my computer. I think it is the video card drivers because in the system tray, the ati icon always appears, and now doesn't when I start up. Also, I had been getting overheating issues with Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and when exiting the game, always crashed. All this is giving me zero access to my computer. I hope someone can fix this.

how many fans do you have? if you have 2 or less try getting a giant fan opening your tray and blowing air in it using the fan, hope that works.

if anything try running oblivion in safemode and see if it still acts up.

Yes that could be it. During oblivion game play, my video card beeps telling me it's overheating and it lowers the clock speed. It also has done that for many other games too. What kind of fan should i get?

u just need better airflow for your case, what case are u using now? u could also get a new heatsink for the graphics card, i recommend a zalman, if the case u r using now isnt that great then it might be a good idea to get a new case which has better airflow

wait a minute, you said it freezes up when you log in. that wont be overheating that quickly surley.
you might have cooked something when you were playing your game, but a fan wont reverse the damage.
try starting up in safe mode like what was suggested and see if it freezes.
i take it you are using a different comp to get on this forum?
woz

Ok. Until now, i thought that my video card could have been the problem. As I was trying to solve it, i unhooked my internet connection, and the desktop never froze, no idea why. This led me to thinking that this could be a virus but i'm not 100% sure. Just so all of you know, the desktop doesn't immediately freeze up. After about 20 or so seconds, the start menu freezes and so does the desktop. I can access the desktop only in that timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom