stupid question...

jonno0304

Beta member
hi all,

just a stupid question for my first post here, but...

recently bought a new HP laptop with xp home (sp 2) installed and a widescreen (1280x768), and am trying to display pics taken with my digital camera on the desktop. because the pictures are not the same dimensions as the desktop, if i set the position to 'stretch' they are distorted slightly lenghtways (and extremely distorted if i want to display a picture taken vertically rather than horizontally!), but if i set the position to 'center' then they are displayed at their full resolution and only a small percentage of the much larger hi-res image can be seen (centred of course!). this is really annoying me - on older computers running xp pro or 2000 i never had this problem - any pic set to 'centre' displayed in the centre with the set background colour (black) appearing around it if it was not sized to fit the screen dimensions. the only way around i have found is to resize the images in photoshop, but this is really annoying me!

any help would be much appreciated, im sure its just a box needing to be ticked somewhere...

cheers, jonno

I don't think this can really be avoided without using photoshop like you said, to cut off some corners, since its a widescreen monitor your using, the Stretch command will stretch the image to that resoloution, and since they aren't widescreen pictures, your bound to get that.
Centre works because its simply placing an unedited image in the centre of the desktop, so you wouldn't get the problem there.

Can't your monitor go lower for desktop?

1152x864 would fix your problem, if your monitor looked alright in that resoloution.

So I'd try setting it to that :)

Though saying that, what video card do you have, by what make, Nvidia or ATI?

Back
Top Bottom