Downloader [warnin!]

Brookfield

Golden Master
Yesterday, when I dialled up, a balloon stated "Connected to Anti-Virus Pro 2006", immediately it started d/loading an exe, smelling a rat, I hit the red X, & had to do this several times as various pop-ups arrived, among which was one that told me that I had four major viruses, in the end it said although I hadn't d/loaded, it would run in the background protecting my computer, I did a search including hidden files, programmes likewise, nothing, I activated AVG, no viruses. was able to get on the'net, but everything was slow.
I rebooted, looked at programmes again, it was there this time, & I uninstalled it & all it's components very easily, I've yet to look in the Recycle bin.

I've posted this as a warning to others, I was told by "my" techie, that had I d/loaded the exe, my spam emails would have increased dramatically, [he's done this job for nearly 20 years] he did say that this particular one is fairly new.

They're exploiting a problem with IE6. MS has yet to release a fix. Turn off active scripting for now till they get a fix out.

i had one like that a while back called itsself "Norman AntiVirus" and it had a brother although i forgot what it was called. Everytime i got rid of it and restarted the computer it would be there again. Ended up being in the registry 3 times. After i got rid of them there it was gone forever. Google the name of the program that came up and you should get a bunch of hits telling you how to get rid of it.

I recently had another one called Spy Falcon it poped up useing the windows logos saying i had spyware and if i bought their program it would go away.

joxley1990 said:
Thanks for the warning.

Have you found the files yet?
There were never any files, that wasn't the way it worked, apparently it was a spoof, when they told you that there were.

So Seti, are you saying that although I went to programmes, & actually uninstalled it, that wasn't the end of it?, after all the usual stuff "do you wish to uninstall.......& all its components"?

exactly... have you reset your computer since then?

Just because you uninstalled it dosent mean that when you DLed it it dident hide installers in other areas of your computer programed to run when windows starts

kev said:
exactly... have you reset your computer since then?

Just because you uninstalled it dosent mean that when you DLed it it dident hide installers in other areas of your computer programed to run when windows starts
I definitely didn't d/load it, twice only it appeared, & I stopped the countdown both times.
I got the "the uninstall will be completed only after a restart, restart now or later" I immediately did so.

Yes, Kev, it must have left installers, I now get a Beagle [not Bagle, virus warning that when I delete, takes me to a different Win Anti-Virus Pro 2006 notice which this time doesn't start d/loading as before, the d/loader is just there.
Is this dangerous or just going to be an irritant, that I just have to watch out for?

Seti, I note your post, how do I turn off active scripting, how does this affect my use of the computer?, also, do you think that this action is really necessary, see the paragraph to Kev, just above, in this post, I think I can put up with these, as I said.

Thanks guys for helping,
Maurice

Back
Top Bottom