Coverting MP3 to Wav

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
So I want to convert my MP3's to wav so I can fit more songs on my mp3 player. I downloaded a free converting program but whenever I convert the wav file ends up being bigger than the orginal mp3 files. Does anyone know how to do this correctly so the wav file is smaller then the mp3? Thanks for the help.

a wav file is naturally larger than an mp3. You converted it correctly. Sticking to mp3's is still your best bet. You can try getting a program to reduce the bitrate of your mp3's. That will reduce it's file size and the reduced quality won't be noticeable as long as you dont go too low.

Yeah, Distortion88 is right. Wave is the biggest, but has the best quality since it isn't compressed what so ever (though at a high enough MP3 bitrate, the quality isn't noticable). That is why the file size is bigger.

Where did you get your information from that MP3 was bigger than WAV?

And yeah, if you use a program like:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

You'll be able to use that which will automatically convert MP3 to the desired bitrate to get the size you want. It should also convert WAV back into MP3.

I suggest to keep the quality/vs size on an MP3, you don't drop the bitrate any lower than 128kbps. Any lower than that, and you'll be able to tell the quality has significantly dropped.

Keeping at that bitrate should provide about 1MB a minute for a song.
So a 3 minute song would be 3MB.

I hope this helps.

NOTE:

The same song in WAV format, could easily exceed 20-30MB.

i hate wma...at least for me because ipod don't play it and i don't want to spend time converting all of them.

WMA is a terrible format, don't use it. Use MP3's/AAC is you have an iPod. A bitrate of 160 does it for me, but 128 is acceptable too (iTunes uses 128 AAC files, which sound oddly good, and I like the AAC format). Anything below that, you lose a lot of the sound range.

MP3 is the best...all mine are mostly at 128, but few are higher. I don't really like AAC...same quality...higher file sizes.

Use Xilisoft MP3 wav converter. I think it converts to wma.

You can get the trial version for free but the people who made it didn't realize that you can use the trial version forever. The trial version originally allows you to only have 5 conversions.

But if you convert then save them somewhere else, delete it from the converting program and it doesn't cound to your 5 conversions :D

Back
Top Bottom