Well, I give up. Freedom of internet...

MikeReiner

Golden Master
Well, i'm in quite a snag here.

My current internet service provider (The BlueZone http://www.thebluezone.com/ ) has a system in place that tracks the bandwidth usage of it's customers. If the bandwidth usage exceeds 10 gigabytes, they will increase the internet bill by $5 per gig.

An E-Mail From The BlueZone said:
In our continuing efforts
to improve and ensure the quality of the service we provide, we continually monitor
the volume of traffic through our network. We have noticed a few of our customers
using excessive amounts of bandwidth. This affects the quality of service for all
other customers. To help resolve this issue we will be implementing a new policy of
Traffic Volume Control similar to most other ISP's. Starting February 1, 2005 you
will be allowed a base allowance for data volume used in a billing cycle.
package = 10GB
You will be charged $5.00 for each GB over your package allowance.
This will affect only a few of our
customers. With this change we are still the most affordable broadband internet
provider in the market.

Let me give you the break down on the billing here..

For $30 a month, we get this service. We are allowed a mere 10 gigs per month, and we get nailed for an extra $5 for each gig over the limit. I've used about 12 gigs now in one month, and this is with my using the internet a lot less than before...

Not to mention, this ISP, blocks our public IP. We can't host anything, I could completely DMZ my computer and nobody could access any sort of server I might be running. I'm forced to use hamachi ( http://www.hamachi.cc/ ) in order to host anything.

I do not find this ethical at all.

My dad refused to switch to another ISP.. a better ISP... qwest.

If we switched to Qwest, we would get a one year discount on our service, totaling at $26.99 for one year. after the that price becomes $44.99.

However, there are no bandwidth limits whatsoever.

Now if you think about it, if I had qwest, we would actually benefit.

I could download all I want and not be nailed for extra money. Right now with bluezone, if I didn't watch the bandwidth meter, I could easily get the bill over $100 without even realizing it.

Bluezone is complete utter bullshit. And my dad refuses to take my side of this.

When I get a job, i'm getting my own internet. And as a way of personal revenge, NOBODY but me gets to use it. I am going to completely disconnect my computer from the LAN and make my own. Normally I wouldn't do this, but my dad simply fails to realize how stressful this is to me. My dad might put up with this shit from bluezone, but I sure as hell wont. It's worth the extra $15. It really is.

What do you guys think?

well, honestly I think it does suck for you dude
but did you show your dad the email? write back to them and tell them what you're telling us. tell them that they're going to lose a customer, and lots more because of this. it's worth a try.

I tried that long before I posted this man.. i've made it very clear to my parents how much I hate this new policy. They were the ones that found the e-mail, so they knew about it before I did.

Offer to pay the $15 surplus to costs and explain your reasons why, fair enough if you wish to take on the costs of your own isp, I thought there was difficulties of having more then one ISP to a house because of cabelling problems, I know we couldn't have two NTL accounts going in so we just had to share the broadband.

I remember when I first got dial up, when I was about 16 on a 486, it was AOL at the time, and they charged for the call, and also the time you spent online, our phone bill was nearly £400 for the month.

Yay! Hamachi is awesome! :D We should all download Hamachi so we can LAN on Counter-Strike Source or some game :D

Boohoo!!

www.rabbitmeadows.com

-Wireless Private Company: $69.95/mo standard for highest package.
-Fee: $500 equipment and installiation fee
-Was a 2.5gb bandwidth limit. Now is a 5gb limit. $10 for each gb over.
-One year contract. Up in April
-Only 1000k (1meg) connecton, because it is wireless
-Dual P4, 3.6ghz processors (****ing retard)
-Can rarely play online games like Css, HL2: DM.
-Any mass p2p like torrents or limewire crashes his system, and gets your account banned ($25 reinstantment fee. Ive done this 3 times, charged once)
-Wont let me play guildwars, because it updated and crasehd his system, because other users were online as well.
-Cant download large files, unless late at night, or else I crash the damn thing

See, my internet is horrible!! Yours is a dream

GlasseyeUK said:
Offer to pay the $15 surplus to costs and explain your reasons why, fair enough if you wish to take on the costs of your own isp,
Dude....DUDE... Your awesome. Thanks for the idea :D

alvino said:
Yay! Hamachi is awesome! :D We should all download Hamachi so we can LAN on Counter-Strike Source or some game :D
Lol, too bad valve games are gay about hamachi. ya know how it goes by 5.x.x.x? if the 2nd is different for any of the users then lan games don't work over hamachi in CSS... totally gay.

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Boohoo!!

www.rabbitmeadows.com

-Any mass p2p like torrents or limewire crashes his system, and gets your account banned ($25 reinstantment fee. Ive done this 3 times, charged once)
-Wont let me play guildwars, because it updated and crasehd his system, because other users were online as well.
-Cant download large files, unless late at night, or else I crash the damn thing

Sounds like hell... I mean... geez dude... mine is wireless... thought mine was bad.... just...wow.

Oh come on! You cant moan to your dad about it, people who use 10gb+ are using p2p :rolleyes: So dont expect him to pay more money if your just downloading loads of rubbish

99nasha said:
Oh come on! You cant moan to your dad about it, people who use 10gb+ are using p2p :rolleyes: So dont expect him to pay more money if your just downloading loads of rubbish

For the record, I haven't touched p2p at all in over a month. Lets just say when you have 3 people in the house that breathe off of the internet, almost ALWAYS using it, browing the web, streaming videos, surfing forums that happen to have a LOT of images *cough* GAIA *cough*... you get the idea. It's easily past 10 gigs with that alone.

Besides, this is the only ISP around here that pulls this crap, none of my friends have this limit. As far as i'm concerned, I should be pissed off. Which is why i'm gonna try to see if I can just pay my dad $15 extra a month for the better connection.. and well.. if he refuses.. i'll just have to get a job and pay for my own connection.

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Boohoo!!

www.rabbitmeadows.com

no offence man but it sound like your getting kinda screwed on your internet lol

why dont you guys get something like verizion

Back
Top Bottom