unique things about where you live

pc trade post

Daemon Poster
in this post just list some things that your town you live in is unique for
here are some things my town is unique for (bloomington, illinois)

only place in america where mitsubishi cars are made
only place in the world where beer nuts are made
has the tallest dormatory in the world
only place in the world with 2 universities on the same street
has the tallest rock climbing facility in usa
where state farm insurance originated
david davis lived here

i think there is some more stuff liek that but i cant think of any

so, what is unique about your town?

Bury. Erm, the only town with a World Famous market that people outside the local area have never heard of... Quite funny actually, because everywhere in the town centre it says 'Come to Bury's World Famous Market' or something like that.

hmm....unique things about where I live..Cochranton PA, umm.....the overwhelming number of cows??.....lol

Hmm... We have Persians.... which is like a Thunder Bay only treat/doughnut thingy :p We're one of the biggest shipping ports in the province or something, not sure which one it is. Also... umm... I don't know what else :p

Chris

I got a few...
My town was one of the largest manfacutoring zoens for the nazi party
We got the crap bombed out of us
Was the first US base in european soil
The world cup is being held here
NATO HQ
2nd larget conceration of american citizens outside of america in the world
You know the pentagon right? Well this is like the overseas pentagon if your a american solider going to iraq you coem though here. When you get injured you go back to here as well. In fact I often time will see Medical Buses driving around.

It was a very active area in WW2 infact just a few months ago a guys dog dug upa rifle and they found a WW2 bomb where the new GYM is being found

well i'm in Yorktown, VA so we got..:

yorktown battlefield(huge): where we got our freedom from britian/ended the war
collinial williamsburg: huge colonial tourist attraction
bush gardens, williamsburg: awesome theme park
water country usa: another theme park by bush
virginia beach: the largest resort city in the world
norfolk: one of the only few places that services air craft carriors(sp) and also a huge navel base in general(name being oceanina(sp)
chesapeke bay: huge bay with a bridge/tunnel combination across it's mouth
something else about norfolk: cruise ships get serviced here
The College of William & Mary: been around over 400 years and is one of the most well known colleges throughout the nation and i think even wordwide

i know there are some other ones but those are all i can think of right now, this is the general area of hampton roads i am talking about, not just my city. still all local 2 me, within an hour

Thaxted... UK

http://www.thaxted.co.uk/

http://www.thaxted.co.uk/images/street.jpg
guild hall
jud2.jpg

Thaxted Guildhall was built by the Guild of Cutlers six hundred years ago, and is still in active use. In 1390, long before the Church was finished, the Cutlers chose a site near to Hall Gate, where three roads met, and started work on their Guildhall.

The resulting building was used by the Cutlers as their headquarters, using the open-paved ground floor as a market and meeting place, and the first floor as an open gallery, with window openings which could be screened when necessary. The top floor was probably the Cutlers Guild and also perhaps the Warden's living quarters.

By 1556, the cutlery industry had sadly declined, and to foster and regulate trade a formal Charter of Incorporation was granted by Philip and Mary, and Thaxted became a Borough. This allowed the appointment of a Mayor, two Bailiffs and twenty-four Burgesses to form a Court of Common Council, to manage the civic life of the town. In 1686, the Charter was extinguished owing to the persecution of James II, and during the years that followed the Guildhall fell into disrepair.

Yardleys Charity, one of the town's existing Charities, took over the Guildhall at the end of the 17th century, carrying out a major restoration, enclosing and panelling much of the first floor and equipping it for use as a school, which was also Yardleys Charity's responsibility. Thaxted Grammar School operated in the Guildhall until 1878, providing free education for 30 boys, adding education for 20 girls after 1830. In those days, children started school at 8 years and finished at 14, and learned reading, writing and arithmetic - samples of their excellent handwriting are on display in the Guildhall.

In 1911, a further restoration took place - pargetting of 1714 was removed, timbers were restored, and the original ground floor arches were replaced. The most recent restoration was carried out by Essex County Council as a contribution to European Architectural Heritage Year 1975 and thanks to the care and dedication of Thaxted people throughout the previous 600 years, the Guildhall continues to represent the civic life of the town, and is in active daily use. The Parish Council, the Trustees of Yardleys Charity and other bodies hold their meetings there, and it is also used for exhibitions of local crafts and interests at frequent intervals throughout the year.

church
jud3.jpg

Thaxted Church is one of the grandest in the county of Essex, 183 feet long and 87 feet wide, and so beautiful that it may well claim to be the Cathedral of Essex. The Church stands on a hill and dominates the town. From whichever direction the visitor approaches, the splendid spire can be seen many miles away. It has been described as the finest parish church in the country, and has both beauty and grandeur. There is an excellent 'walk around' guide in the church available to visitors.

The building began in 1340, and its growth continued through our great building centuries till the Reformation, and the result is a proud example of English architecture. It was completed in 1510. Perfect balance is achieved with the aisles and transepts, chapels and the two porches, the King's and the Duke's, for Edward the Fourth gave the one with his arms on it (North porch), and Lionel, Duke of Clarence gave the other marked with his coronet (South porch). Both porches are vaulted, and both have a spiral stair leading to a room above and ending in a turret. The Church was built in the form of a cathedral, with a fine crossing between the main body and the chancel. The hexagonal pulpit, with canopy and ogee-shaped base, dates from c.1680. The roof is early 16th century and comprises six bays.

windmill
windmill.jpg

Thaxted windmill was built by John Webb, a local farmer and landowner in 1804 to satisfy the increasing demand for flour both locally and in London.

It was constructed using local materials, the bricks being made and fired less than half a mile away at a quarry in the Chelmer Valley also owned by John Webb.

A fully restored Grade II* listed windmill, capable of grinding corn into flour. On the ground and first floors thre is a rural museum containing agricultural artefacts.

Almshouses

alm.jpg

The long low thatched building, still known as the Chantry, was built as a Priest's House and later became an almshouse providing four dwellings under one roof. At some time during the 17th and 18th century, the administration of this building passed to the Manor of Horham, but by the 1920s its condition had deteriorated so much that it was unsuitable for its original purpose. The Rev. Conrad Noel, the Vicar at that time, then purchased it and turned it into a single dwelling now belonging to the church.

The adjacent tiled almshouse building, built around 1714 probably on the site of an earlier chantry house, used to comprise eight tenements under one roof, and in 1830 was occupied by sixteen aged persons: "13 widows, a man, a wife and a maid". The building was maintained partly by the parish and partly from church funds.

yeah, thaxted is a very historic town... cant wait till the summer, some beautiful walks around the fields...

were also twinned with a french town...

thaxted is a beautiful village... check out the site :)

We have LOTS!!! of Amish in the town i live in.
Lots of interesting things happen in my town, US Marshals shooting fugative, 2 people murdered a house away from me, bomb threats at school. (I don't live in the Ghetto)

Back
Top Bottom