Restricting Access To MSN Messenger, Help!

SeanKJG

Solid State Member
Hey People, I have a small problem that I would need one you you to help me with if possible:

I have Windows XP Professional, Not connected to a home network of any sort and it is essentially a lone PC(With Internet). Recently my mother asked me to find a way to stop my 13 year old sister from using certain programs, frankly, I have no idea how but my sister speaks with some pretty strange and questionable people. I used a secret screen cap utility beforehand to discover this.

I've been messing about with the Administration Panel in Control Panel but I can't find any way of specifically blocking access to programs like Msn Messenger without stopping other more responsible users from accessing them?

Thanks

PS: I'm not exactly perfect when It comes to XP administration so if you do help please be patient if i dont get you :confused:

I'm not sure if you can. As long as she has an email addy she will be able to use MSN. If she ain't to computer savvy you could always hide MSN so just you and responsible users could find it.

Maybe somebody else has an idea, but i don't think there's a way sorry.

Well, she actually uses the program and goes nuts if she isn't allowed. Last time I stopped my firewall from allowing traffic to MSN messenger and she simply went to the firewall and changed the setting which was obviously very annoying.

I wouldn't exactly say she was computer savvy though, she just has a head of common sense, I suppose, I know how to block sites like hotmail thats really easy, but I generally need to know how to do program specific restriction. :eek:

not sure if msn has the option, but atleast with some programs u can choose that it installs the program only for the user whose account is being used to install it. This way u could delete msn (and windows messenger too) and then install it again to the other accounts. And then of course don't give her admin rights, and make it so that only the admin can install new programs.

But that only works if msn has that feature, and I'm not sure if it does.

Other than that I don't have any idea how u could make it so that she couldn't use it but other people could.

u should be able 2 disable access to the internet with it using the windows firewall but also i'm not sure but if u find the .exe file for msn (i think it's msnmsngr.exe) or something similar, right click and go 2 run as and i think that u can tell it 2 require a password, not sure but maybe.

What you could do is put her user account on the PC into some crappy, brand new user group.

Then you could simply make the folders and the EXEs for the "questionable" programs Access Denied for her usergroup. Just change it using the Security tab in Properties.

I'd say she'd still be able to e-mail the dodgy people, though, and use MSN Web Messenger.

get "microsoft shared computer tool kit" off the internet. its free and can restrict all sorts of things.

UK31337 said:
What you could do is put her user account on the PC into some crappy, brand new user group.

Then you could simply make the folders and the EXEs for the "questionable" programs Access Denied for her usergroup. Just change it using the Security tab in Properties.

I'd say she'd still be able to e-mail the dodgy people, though, and use MSN Web Messenger.

actually that could work.
And to prevent e-mailing and web messengers u could just block the websites.
Sure she can always get a new email from some other provider, but just block the most common ones. If she still does it then just find out what e-mail site she uses and block it.

Is that similar to Group policies, I think I came across something that allowed permissions. Anyhow, i'm going too get that 'microsoft shared computer tool kit' and see if its worth it

Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom