Holographic Drives (H-ROM)

Yeha, for backups etc if it could be wiped, you'd never need a new disk in your life unless you had terrabytes of data!!!

I knew it was possible and done but I didn't expect it to become mainstream so quickly :D Bye bye Bluray, etc, this is going to be the standard now, haha.

No, its more likely going to be for professional applications, though they can easily make smaller discs to hold less data of course to cut costs, etc.

Plus its like anything, once its mass produced, prices drop rather fast.

That 20mb a sec thing doesn't seem like much though for a product thats recorded in so compact density, but that could increase too with faster drives.

"The media will be made in several different form factors from postage stamp to credit card size, which could hold several high definition movies. "

Thats amazing...

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I wonder if they'll be less destructable than CD/DVD or more so in the way of they breaking/scratching, etc.

Even though it seems more expensive to produce, it probably isn't. The proces of playing back seems almost the same as a CD but in depth as well rather than just across...

Well, im sure they wont be as disposable as these cds. So, im sure there will be a thicker aluminum coating than their is on current cds. Something thats heat, and flex resistant (to a certain degree).

But still, something like this for a hard drive. I mean.. the government has top secret like glass, laster enscribed hard drives. Or something of that sort. So I wanna say this would revolutionize that. But It cant, because if it would the government would have stopped the production of it, and taken it for themeslves.

I dont know.. Just an interesting concept.

It'll be a while before H-ROM becomes the universal standard for optical storage. We're too integrated into DVD's and discs for H-ROM to completely take over.

There will never be a standard again. I mean, in the last 50 years, it has been the greatest leap in technoloigy in history. But, now we have finally standardized some of it. Right now were talking about CDs. Really, this is the most efficient kind of storage for us. We have standardized it, and utilized it in everyway possible. But.. now, this is going to come out. Say it takes another 20 years to completey rid of CDs. Because this new stuff is so expensive. Then what? After the 20 years, we start to finally all get theres H-ROMS. And there is something with several T bytes of storage out, and a 30gb transfer rate. I mean people just keep inventing. Its not going to stop, and let us catch up with technology.

What Im trying to say, is taht I dont think that some things will ever leave. Because this new stuff is going to be so expensive, the average PC user wont be able to afford it. Or even have the need for such storage and speeds. Its just going to keep advanving, and, the people who need the advancemnets get it. And the people who dont, stick with what they have.

H-ROMs are effectively cheap to produce it says on that website. Its almost the same technology as CD's, and still uses the red laser type, so its not that much of a leap in terms of technology affordability, as its possible.

I think H-Roms are alot more affective than a flat surface with data on one plane. I much prefer the idea that data is held on different levels like with Holographic.

Imagine a post stamp sized disc capable of holding a couple of HD movies? Thats what this will give you.
The results are endless. CD's have their limits, this won't so much, as alot of experiementation can still give way.

I'm sure with a bit of experimentation on the market, etc, we'll see terrabyte H-Roms easily.
We won't need a disc as we know it again!

I knew it would have been released in 2007, but...are you willing to pay over $2k for a H-ROM burner?

Well, I actually saw a 1TB disc though... being announced 2 years ago.

Yeah, but remember how much DVD drives used to cost originally? They weren't for the home, in terms of price. But now, they are as cheap as chips, and so are the DVD's to produce.

The same would happen to the H-Rom after a while, and just like DVD, the price of burners will drop too, as yields are increased.

I do believe though that the H-Rom doesn't really have any need to be sold by shops with stuff already on them, unless they dramatically decrease the size of the disc storage for this use, but I believe they are the way forward for backing up, and this kind of thing.

Buisnesses, etc will finally be able to throw away tape drives for example that are still sometimes used for very large data storages.

So I doubt for example in the next 5 years or so, we'll see a movie on H-ROM.

Though who knows what TV broadcasting could lead to? Maybe even higher qualities, over HD, more resoloution, more everything. This is where discs like this would be useful, as it has a never ending limit of storage basically.

So where DVD/BLU-RAY/HD-DVD have limitations of use, the H-ROM wouldn't.

get what I'm trying to get at?

I'd be willing to buy one, so I could back up everything I have, and on the other PCs, but if the prce range is too high, might as well just buy blank DVDs and store them.

Yes I do get what you're saying.

Right now, if pricing is way too high, I have Multimedia stuff to buy so I could be up with these year technology (LCD TV (A 20" only like 399! OMG!), some led fans for Movies and gaming, a 9600 or 6600GT equivalent to play more modern games, new games, maybe another GB of RAM, another DVD burner, maybe another LCD monitor (DUal screen baby!))

Back
Top Bottom