Holographic Drives (H-ROM)

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Here's something you guys never thought of. InPhase is a company that has just developed a media or some kind of medium with storage density of 515 Gb per square inch using holographic technology.

This could lead to a DVD sized disk capable of holding more than 500 GB of data!!! The company, whose partnered with Maxell, plans to release a holographic drive and 300 GB media in September. Holographic recording technology utilizes intersecting signal and reference laser beams to store data in 3D hologram images. The H-ROM seems pretty nice and will become integrated with regular consumer electronics in the near future. I think some of us could use that extra storage capacity.

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/news/Tapestry_4000.html

I have no clue what the price on that would be but is does sound expensive. There are talks about putting it in consumer devices and perhaps PC's would be very nice.

Here's an exert from the article:

"Today's CDs and DVDs are based on red laser technology. The Tapestry™ HDS4000 media, which is sensitive to 680nm wavelengths, now enables the development of low-cost consumer holographic devices based on these red lasers. This will usher in an era of devices that provide the performance and capacity of commercial products at consumer prices.”

Consumer prices!!! Wow...

"The Tapestryâ„¢ HDS4000 media will be available through the InPhase Media Evaluation Program. The program is designed to ACCELERATE the development of holographic storage products in a broad range of applications from consumer to enterprise by making InPhase holographic media and development equipment available to a wide variety of product developers.

InPhase will be the first company to deliver a holographic product for professional archive applications in late 2006. The initial InPhase Tapestryâ„¢ holographic recording device will record 300 gigabytes (GB) of data onto a 130 mm disc with a transfer rate of 20 megabytes per second (MB/s).

This is compatible with high-definition television transmission rates, and high-end enterprise computer applications."

In today's standard, we have 300GB drives available now. Imagine having a storage disc that can do the same thing!!! Double wow. You don't have to carry around your portable external drive anymore. Just pop it on a DVD and your set with 300GB worth of data. As files get bigger and bigger, the demand for this will be great.

Holograms are the way of the future. Holographic, that is. It uses 3d crystal like material to store that much data. I studied a little bit about that in school.

It'll be a while before the H-ROM goes within the price range of consumers. It's a potential technology, but if it's too expensive, it'll be a niche product.

Thats insane. Im going to show my Computer Teacher tomorrow, because we just had a talk about holographic tech today.. Lol the irony..

There's a lot of potential for Holographic technology. RIght now, storage devices store info. on a two dimensional surface. In the future, storage medium such as the new holographic DVDs will be composed of 3D crystal like objects with many sides or faces. This is similar to small cards that you may have seen which change the picture or image as you view the cards from different angles.

When this stuff does come available next year, you can store an entire set of encyclopeidas on a single crystal that may have as many as several hundred faces!!! Think how small technology will become then. Good stuff.

InPhase will be the first company to deliver a holographic product for professional archive applications in late 2006. The media for this product will be offered through its strategic partner Hitachi Maxell Ltd. The initial InPhase Tapestryâ„¢ holographic recording device will record 300 gigabytes (GB) of data onto a 130 mm disc with a transfer rate of 20 megabytes per second (MB/s). This is compatible with high-definition television transmission rates, and high-end enterprise computer applications.

That is insane!

It's already a reality. This stuff will be hot. Imagine those that edit music and videos for a living. They will be so pleased to have a disc that can finally store volumes of movies, videos, music, etc., all on one simple little disc. It's high speed make this technology compatible in every way. Very efficient. I'm just curious how much the drive will cost and the disc to store the info on.

Imagine the price and the expense of buying those things...:eek: True, it's fast and is capable of high storage, but unless they find a way to make it initially cheap, it's going to be a niche product and stay that way until they find someway to make it cheaper for consumers.

I keep thinking if they do plan on making it available to regular electronics, they would have to make it affordable. Probably in the hundreds and hope not in the thousands. That would be too much. Like the Bose systems. I wonder if this will replace the Blu-Ray eventually.

Back
Top Bottom