Reinstalling windows, without wiping the hard drive

I thought you could just run the setup disk again for windows and install it that way.

Uuumm..i dont know, you could do a repair, but I dont think it would be possible because it needs to get rid of all the information, try running the setup within windows.

~K-Pow~ said:
I thought you could just run the setup disk again for windows and install it that way.

u can.

When it comes to the part where it shows the partitions, just install windows on the same partition. (the files only get deleted if u delete the partition) Then all of the files will be there but u will still need to reinstall all of the programs.

Atleast thats how I've always done it..

That's what i figured mammikoura. It's nasha's question though.... :p

Sorry nasha kinda answered your question with a question. :cool:

i just re installed xp on the same partition and then deleted the original xp files (exept for docs) when the second installation was complete

If I were you I would backup my files and documents and anything you want to keep and wipe the drive, reformat and reinstall windows. It'll be much better for you that way. It'll be a nice clean installation with no spyware and such and it will make your pc a lot faster. You should be doing regular backups anyway so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I do a full C: backup once a month, onto a NAS. Only 100GB but it does the trick, I reinstall windows about once a month.

Just reformat nasha, save us hassle lol

Whats the easiest and quickest way to backup everything on my C drive to an external one?

All you do is install Windows on C: without changing anything. It will Delete the Windows directory and that's about it. I do it all times.

Format using the NTFS partition
Leave the system intact <no cahges> <---

Back
Top Bottom