Super slow hard drives please help

meanpeoplesuck

Baseband Member
Hello.

I recently obtained a old 20gb Seagate with Windows XP already installed in it. I decided I would try to dual boot linux on it one day. Before I even attempted to install linux on it, I used it as extra storage. As soon as I turned on the computer and tried logging into windows normally I noticed it was MUCH slower. I thought it was a problem with my power supply (which it still may be).

When I unplug the slave drive and leave my 150gb seagate barracuda in as master, it loads super fast, just as it did before. However plug it back in, same thing.

Now I have linux dual booted on this drive, and I expected that it would be super slow when I started linux on the slave drive. But it wasn't, it ran perfectly. When I look at my device manager (I assume thats what its called) it says everything runs perfectly. All drivers are up to date according to windows. And the drive shouldn't need to be defragmented since it works when its by itself fine.

However, when I went to the defragmenter to use ScanDisk, it hardly even ran the program. It was EXTREMELY slow. All I could manage to do was analyze the C drive, which later popped up a menu saying I should defragment, and when I clicked on defrag it froze up completely and I had to ctrl alt delete out of it. My slave drive doesn't come up in this list at all, but I assume its because its not NTFS or FAT32 partitioned. Sometimes in the middle of doing something windows will freeze up for a second, but nothing horrible.

I can only think of a few things that can be done. I might need a better cable, or I might need to adjust something in BIOS.

This is how the drives are set up:

Master - 150gb Seagate Barracuda ATA - Windows XP Home
Slave - 20gb Seagate ATA - Linux Ubuntu

HELP ME PLEASE!

It looks just slow, try and format it, see if that speeds it up..

The power supply cannot slow down your computer

Ahh..didnt read that bit..sorry...

Uumm..that is wierd, maybe because one is so big and one is so small, that really is wierd though...format and see what happens..

joxley1990 said:
Ahh..didnt read that bit..sorry...

Uumm..that is wierd, maybe because one is so big and one is so small, that really is wierd though...format and see what happens..

If you read propley thats not what he should or have to do, like he said, he took of the other HDD and it worked propley, ok.

Umm, this proplem is kinda strange but i would just change the power supply in the back of the HDD and swope, see what happens, if not, it may have been over heated or to much stuff on the HDD.

Back
Top Bottom