Win32 removal????

bertman911

Baseband Member
Hi all.......I am new to this forum, and would like to get some information on a possible virus I have. Let me give you a little info first off.

Have NIS 2006 and about 4 days ago, started having problems with it (I know......I know......) Anyway......I was getting error messages saying I needed to remove and reinstall NIS, for there was an internal error. Well I went to add/del programs, and did that route, and reinstalled. All with no luck. NIS 2006 was still not loading correctly. SOOOO, I tried ADAWARE and SPYBOT to see if I got a virus. Well, about 3/4 the way through the scan, the screen would disappear, and I would never get the results of the scans. One time, ADAWARE made it through the scan, and it said I had a WIN32 Apropo-3 virus. Well I was unable to fix/remove it, and since then I have been trying to fix it, all with no resolve. I spent 2 hours with Symantec (what a joke) and never got anywhere, except put on hold, after they screwed with my registry for a little bit. They tried to have me do a manual scan throught Symantecs website, but it too just disappeared partially through the scan.

Well, today I was at Best Buy, and asked one of the "geeks" at "GeekSquad" about it. He said it is a typical WIN32 virus, and that nothing purchased over the counter would fix it. He said they would need it for a week or so and cost me $175 to repair. OUCH!!

So here is my question........finally........lol

Is this info correct?
What is the best route to repair this?
Once repaired, what is the BEST internet security BESIDES NIS2006?

I am semi-literate in computer info.......not a techy though, so dont get too deep on me....lol

Any help would be great.

BTW......my computer still works fine, but just the internet security part is on the blitz. I feel real vulnerable with my connection, since I am always on.

Thanks everyone.

Bertman911

lol, i honestly think viruses are a myth, ive never had one

here, just download bitdefender
you can find it on download.com
its great, free, and will giv u ur safety "fix" till you get nis (which is paranoid) working again, though i dont know why you would want it working

As far as removing viruses is concerned, Adaware and Spyware ussually will not help you. Their built for their own purposes, removal and detection of adware and spyware respectively.

Now, as far as software to use, I'd reccomend the following:

As far as adware detection and removal, use AdAware Personal from http://www.adaware.com - It is FREE and in my own experience, you don't need the professional version unless the proactiv detection puts you more at need. (This means that it'll be scanning for infections in the background without you enforcing a scan.. ussually scanning incoming files from the internet or files your opening).

For spyware detection and removal, I'd reccomend getting Windows Defender Beta 2 from http://microsoft.com - It is FREE but you will need to verify your version of Windows with a simple verification process before downloading it. The site gives you the instructions and such, so you won't have any problems with this.

For virus detection and removal, I'd reccomend nothing other than NOD32 from http://nod32.com - It is not FREE, but its $40 per computer. For $40, it has proactiv scanning, and uses very little resources. I find it to be the best IMHO out of AVG Professional / FREE, Norton, and McAfee.

If you need a FREE virus removal tool, and don't want to pay, I highly reccomend AVG FREE from http://free.avg.com

To do a complete scan on your system before downloading anything else, go to http://housecall.antivirus.com - It runs right through your browser using a Java kernel, and its very simple to use.

As far as GeekSquad taking a week to repair that problem.. that only sounds accurate because their probally very busy and after repairing it they have to test multiple things to make sure everythings functional and that the virus will not spread again. Ussually I can remove a virus (if removal is an option without formatting) within a day or two, but I'm also not working on 50-100 other computers during that day either.. so I can understand their point.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I did try housecall65........ and the same thing happens. The screen freezes part way through the scan and never allows it to finish. Very wierd.

BTW.........I did call Symantec just now and they credited me back my money for the purchase. At least some good came out of it. Now I can apply that to get my computer back to norm.

Anyone else heard of this happening by a WIN32 virus?

Thanks again!

sk8ngame said:
lol, i honestly think viruses are a myth, ive never had one

here, just download bitdefender
you can find it on download.com
its great, free, and will giv u ur safety "fix" till you get nis (which is paranoid) working again, though i dont know why you would want it working
they are a reality my friend. my mom got the "I love you" virus a few years ago, and it took a computer wiz a whole day to get rid of it...

Anyone know how to COMPLETELY remove NIS 2006 from my comp?
Every reboot, 7 errors pop up saying that they are missing files for NIS. I would REALLY like to get rid of all the files and have nothing to do with NIS ever again. I did the programs listed in symantec to completely remove, but for whatever reason it doesnt work (the one I need says it is not signed and therefor cannot load). I also dont have NIS in add/remove any longer, and I also went into regedit to remove files manually. Any help would be great!

I am currently trying the NOD32 program and I will let ya know how it goes.

TOBY.............Thanks for the info man!!! It worked, and got rid of all the WIN32 viruses.

You are a lifesaver!!

NOD32 worked!!

Thanks again.......I appreciate it.

All back to normal now......

Last question....what program should I use for internet securitynow that NIS is gone??

Don't use NIS I find the whole of symantecs horrible, I use AVG and Zone alarm try using those and see how you get on plus it doesn't eat up much of your resourceshaving loaded as much as NIS or NAV try the altearnitives, other people find other anti virus programmes better but it's just my opinion.

bertman911 said:
Every reboot, 7 errors pop up saying that they are missing files for NIS.

like i said, i consider symantec, and mcaffe to be viruses themselves :D

and NIS is really paranoid, it blocks my aim messages.... i mean sheesh

Back
Top Bottom