legit product key question

Washington

In Runtime
OK here's the lowdown-

I've been given a pc to look at as it had few problems that I have now sorted. But I know this pc is going to be used as an internet machine and there is no firewall installed. No problem as I can just install one. But the other thing I've noticed is that it is running XP Home edition with no service packs. Now I have a copy of Service Pack 2 on CD so I can install that. The problem is, is that I am not 100% certain if it is a legit copy of XP. I think it is as an authentic microsoft sticker is on the side with the product key. Is there any way I can check that this pc was activated with the same product key that is on this sticker??

I looked in system information, but couldn't see anything in there. I want to put SP2 on it as I believe there are a lot of security holes in XP that get plugged with the service pack. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Go onto the Microsoft site and try downloading something, it requires the product to be legit to download.

Get Windows Defender or IE7. They will tell you. That's how my mind got cleared with my XP CD-Key!

As it's not my pc I don't want to be going through all the hassle of installing my modem on it to get onto the internet. Plus I don't want to go onto the microsoft website and the alarms go off if its not a legit copy. Not on my ISP!!!

Anyway as I was giving the pc a onceover I noticed that the temperature at idle was 71c! That's on a cool day with the side off and running idle. So I turned it off before it cooked itself! It's only a AMD 1.3Ghz chip!

So I shall tell him to get a new heatsink and fan before he does anything else with it. Thanks for the help

If you do not have a legit product key, then you will still be allowed to download and install all critical updates, including SP2. As Flipper mentioned above you will not be able to download non critical stuff such Windows Media Player 10, Internet Explorer 7.

If your friend brought it from an established place, then it is likely that the product key will be valid, however if it was brought from a small trader, built from scratch or from computer fairs, then there is a greater probability that it is not a legit version.

You can also contact Microsoft if you brought your version in good faith and its not legit, and although they make you jump through hoops and it involves informing them where you brought it from etc. They will supply you with a new product license key.

Back
Top Bottom