PC Running idle @ 80%+ CPU Usage, Very Very Slow! No Virus etc, What's Going On???

Wiredchild

In Runtime
My Dad's laptop, for some reason, seems to be running idle at 80% or more CPU usage, making it painfully slow!

We can't work out why it's doing this...We've updated and scanned using Norton Antivirus, and even reinstalled NA, updated and scanned again. But nothing bad is found at all...Supposedly all clean. Along with this we've tried Lavasoft Adaware, Registry Mechanic, defragged etc etc. Nothing is found or sorted through this.

Only thing is he added 512RAM several days before it started playing up, but this is definately compatible...Though, even when removing the RAM the PC was still running as it is now.

I decided to check all the processes the computer was performing on www.processlibrary.com but none were considered 'bad'...Most were Microsoft's.

...Funny thing is that even in Safe Mode the PC still acts the same!?

It's just making the computer unusable as it is so so slow. Personally i'd format, but it's my Dad's and has a lot of business data on that'd take ages to back up...So, that really is a last resort.

Any ideas would be appreciated, we really need a solution.

Cheers guys,
WC.

Re: PC Running idle @ 80%+ CPU Usage, Very Very Slow! No Virus etc, What's Going On???

I dunno, sounds very strange. Seems like you have tried anything I would normally say. Maybe drivers conflicting?.. but that wouldnt cause cpu usage to be at 80%. Try this... start.. programs.. accessories... system tools.. system information. You might something in there. Hope it helps!

Are you running Java?

At one time I saw an article explaining how a certain version of Java had a certain problem with it where it'd cause the CPU Usage to peak even when idle.

Re: PC Running idle @ 80%+ CPU Usage, Very Very Slow! No Virus etc, What's Going On???

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've tried that and, unfortuneatly; nothing. Very confused, and worried, about all this!...Seems to be no sign of why the computer is behaving so erratically.

Any more ideas anyone??

Cheers Bahawolf for your reply...Thought you'd cracked it as Dad said he "Thought he had a Java update a couple of days back"...However, uninstalled Java and, same thing, still...

Post a Hijackthis log...

press ctrl+alt+delete and go to the processes tab. Click the 'CPU' heading twice to get the processes in descending order. Which processes are near the top and what percentage of the CPU are they using?

Firstly, a process called 'svchost.exe' seems to be active 4+ times...I don't think this is relevant, especially because i think it's a Norton Antivirus process. However, if i stop the processes, after about 3 or 4 of them a warning comes up: "NT Authority\System Error Message: "This system is shutting down. Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly."" - This is apparently linked to the 'W32Blaster.Worm' virus, but, i ran a Symantec removal tool and it couldn't find it...So. Thought i better mention it.

yeah, whats running in the backgound? norton you said? thats one of the biggest resource eaters... i'm sure the specs of that laptop are good, what are they?

As for the HijackThis log joxley1990, here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 22:31:15, on 25/03/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\OPHALDCS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Event Service\VESMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VCSW\VCSW.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzCdbSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzFw.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzRs\VzRs.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Power Management\SPMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Utimaco\SafeGuard PrivateDisk\pdservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICO.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe