please help - installing nvidea 7900GT

cpittmx

Beta member
here goes a stupid question. I have only built a couple pc's so bear with me. Im building a new system and using an nvidia 7900 GT. It is powered by one of the 2x2 plugs. My psu only supplies one of the 2x2's and I had to plug that into my motherboard. with the card came a Y adaptor that has 2 4x1's on one end and a 2x2 on the opposite end. Am i suppose to plug 2 4x1's into that cable and then plug the 2x2 end into the graphics cards to that I am using basically two lines to power the graphics card?

please help dont want to fry the card. and pny does not explain crap in their book or website infact both only covers up to the 6800 which gets powered differently.

You plug the '2x2' end of the Y-connector into the graphics card and you are suppose to connect both of the 4-pin molex connectors to two open molex connectors from your PSU. This will result in the best amount of power being delivered to the vid card. But if you don't have two free 4 pin molex connectors, connecting one is fine and will not do damage to the card. If you do, however, experience power issues then you may have to find a way to connect both but I don't think you will have problems as long as the PSU is rated high enough for that card.

thanks for the help i do have two molex connectors available it was just the 2x2 that I didnt have.

hmm....someone else is telling me that there is a special 3 pin plug ( and i do notice that even though the plug is actually 4x1 there is only 3 wires in it) adn that if my psu doesnt have corresponding plug that I have wrong PSU. can anyone add to this?

Just have a look at all the wires and cables that came with the card..look at the card and see if its got this three pin plug.

Read up first before you start building it.

joepic said:
7900GT is one heck of a card, you'll be happy with that

Its not a nice card if you dont know how to install it, or after you do manage to install it, it blows up!

nah, i've heard great things about it... my uncle has one and it could do pretty much anything he throws at it... not to mention he's got 2 gigs of ram and a dual core 3800

Back
Top Bottom