Delayed crashes, chipset is suspected.

MikeReiner

Golden Master
Delayed crashes, maybe PSU?

I'm dealing with a system that has a tendancy to crash when worked hard..
the system is a..

AMD64 3500+ (venice)

BFG GeForce 6800GT

2x1gb kingston memory

MSI MS-6702E motherboard
http://prohardver.hu/html/proci/socket_939/pics/msimobo.jpg (the picture is high res, so I decided I wouldn't insert it with the img code)

CPU-Z screenshot: http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4859/untitled26js.jpg

The system can idle and never have problems, but when it is being run hard.. (such as running a game) it can crash after a few hours. it's not a bsod, the screen just starts doing some weird lines and then goes blank.. the sound stays on, but loops.

The games run really well given how powerful the hardware is, but it just seems to die whe ran hard.

Example, in the map DM-Icetomb on ut04, there are a lot of pixel shaders on the ice, and since that runs the system harder, it crashes. it runs perfectly fine before the crash.

The temperatures are stable, both the CPU and the GPU keep stable low temperatures.

Since it's not a bsod, and the system passed burn in test perfectly, the memory isn't the problem, nor the video or cpu. It's been norrowed down to something wrong with the mother board.

I always heard VIA was a really pathetic company for chipsets.. maybe this proves the rumors...
oh, and also, when the system crashes.. it can't be rebooted, it has to be FORCED off, then turned back on..

PSU:
450 watt
+3.3V@26A, +5V@28A, +12V@30A, -12V@0.8A, -5v@0.3A, -5VSB@2.0A
http://www.nikao.net/ice450wsl.htm

wtf6lh.png

Something tells me that is bad...
Comments? Help would be appreciated!

Maybe you can try slowing down your system in the bios and see if it prevents the crashes. Im assuming you built your PC So maybe you should double check everything and make sure they all comply. Some technologies run into probelms with other components not up to par.

All the components are compatable with each other and are connected just fine... look at the 3.3v line... it looks out of place... I'd like to know whether that means a bad PSU or what.

I know bumping is considered spam.. but come on.. the thread was on the 2nd page and I only posted this yesterday.. I need some help people! If you read this and don't know, atleast let me know that...

This is the last time i'll bump this thread, I seriously need some help.
It has fallen onto the third page, and I posted this two days ago.

This system is unstable and crashes, and I don't know what to do.

That voltage does look weird. Did you try lowering it? A normal amd 3500+ runs around 1.4V ish. did you verify those settings in BIOS? It could be a lot of reasons. If you ask me, I think it's more of a power supply issue. Have you tried a new one? Maybe the psu is feeling its age?

The whole system is basically new. My friend has it now, and he took it elsewhere, so I can't do much at this point other than give him advice.

He's getting it trouble shooted by someone else, so yeah... had someone been able to give me advice on this like... *counts* 10 days ago, I could have done it myself.. oh well..

lol... Yeah, it happens... what can I say? You should've contacted me sooner... lol.

Back
Top Bottom