Help with Ubuntu Linux

If you want to keep Windows then you need to create seperate partitons for linux, which is what i have. You can use an app. like GParted to do this, just shrink your windows partiton and make some free space on the hard drive the ubuntu installer can use. If you need any help you can PM, or IM me.

Flipper said:
GParted is when you are already in Ubuntu is it not?
It is included in the full install version of Ubuntu, but you can also download it from the internet, and boot from the cd it is on.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm deciding to just install Ubuntu on my old computer and just reformat it's hard drive. Does Ubuntu have any hardware specifications like Windows does?

Will said:
FYI you can get ubuntu live/installation cds sent to you for free from Ubuntu.com

free but their shipping is terrible, took me about a month to get mine. linuxcd.org will get you it in about a week. but w/e free is free, shipping may be worth it to you. :D also i ordered 1 live/install set and they sent me 5. guess i can give them to my friends.....

alvino said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm deciding to just install Ubuntu on my old computer and just reformat it's hard drive. Does Ubuntu have any hardware specifications like Windows does?
No, not really, it will run on almost anything really.

Yeah...it is very compatible with hardware. Yet another reason you should choose it over Windows :) Although I prefer Windows XP over any linux distro.

Haha, I'm only concerned because my old computer is running on a Intel Pentium II, 64mb of RAM, nVIDIA TNT2-Riva, Samsung 10gb and Maxtor 2gb hard drive, and some crap motherboard. :p I'm sure Windows XP wouldn't even run in that!

But either way, that's good. :)

I need a lot of help with partitions. I'm installing Ubuntu on an old Compaq, and overwriting Windows; I'm at the partition manager, and I have:

IDE1 master (hda) - 12.8 GB QUANTUM BIGFOOT TS12.7A
LVM VG Ubuntu, LV root - 12.2 GB Unknown
LVM VG Ubuntu, LV swap_1 - 390.1 MB Unknown

I really have no clue what to do here. If someone can help me, please IM me on AIM, my screen name is thatcoolrushguy

Back
Top Bottom