AMD Dethrowned. Intel Steps up.

Caught my eye:

"the 5000+ isn't a 939 chip, it's an AM2 chip, meaning that its model number implies the move to AM2 doesn't actually offer any performance benefit. AMD has been fairly silent on what to expect from AM2, but could it be that they aren't expecting to see any tangible performance benefit at all? If the move to DDR2-800 was going to result in some sort of a performance gain I'd expect the 5000+ to be a 2.4GHz/1MB chip just like the current 4800+, or for a 2.6GHz/512KB part to be a higher rated part.

Now clearly I'm still talking about an unannounced platform and an unannounced CPU, but assuming the specs on the 5000+ don't change it may very well be that AM2 does nothing for AMD. "

personally, i think the current AM2 chips are only going to be something that could support AMD so they dont loose anything right now. It is like the NC and Clawhammers for 939. Its to bridge the gap from old tech to new tech. Thats just my opinion.

So when are the Merom mobile processors being released? Same as all, in the first quarter of this year?

It should be around the time of Conroe which is quarter three of this year i believe.

Then I guess that, combined with the release of Vista, should cause me to wait to get a new laptop.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for my current PC to hit two years old before getting another one, so that'll be Summer 2007.

The fact is that until AMD produces a new architecture, AM2 won't provide much performance increase until then. For now, Conroe is what is really catching everyones eyes since Intel was unsuprisingly owned by AMD. However, the time of the NetBurst architecture is over.

The thing about the AM2 is FULL DDR2 COMPATIBILITY

Which means

OMG AWESOME OVERCLOCKING LIKE HUGE OMG OVERCLOCKING

think about it

So? This is the first time AMD is venturing into DDR2, so inital versions of AM2 are BOUND to have bugs and issues. Intel on the other hand has completely over come those issues and is running perfectly fine with DDR2 because they've gone through that transition.

Back
Top Bottom