health care in UK and Canada

Andy87

Baseband Member
this is a question for people who live in the UK and canada. i live in america and was talking to my aunt and she said that government provided healthcare is not as good as it seems to be. she said that you typically have to wait several weeks to get to see a doctor. this just does not sound right to me. could anyone let me know what it is like? thanks

I live in Canada. I know people who have had to wait a few weeks for something like an MRI, something that is heavily machine-based, for which there aren't many resources, but other than that it's not that bad. Hospitals can be really annoying, you'll wait 5 hours in the emergency room, but hey, all you need is your health card. There has been some talk recently about privatizing certain sectors of healthcare, basically there will still be government-funded healthcare, but those who have money can do it privately, not having much of a wait at all. The main concern with that is the deterioration of the public system.

Yeah Argon, i went there tuesday night and i waited for 6 hours before i got in.

Luckily my ribs were bruised not broken.

In the UK, we get free healthcare from the Government. But the problem is there are usually long waiting lists, doctors always complaining about their working conditions, unhygenic hospitals (MRSA), important operations being cancelled....

But I've never had any hugely serious health problems, so I don't have vast amounts of experience. And I don't like hospitals.

We get free health care too, but here in Nova Scotia there is such a shortage of doctor's and nurse's that there over worked so it's hard to see one unless it's an absolutle emergency.

UK31337 said:
In the UK, we get free healthcare from the Government. But the problem is there are usually long waiting lists, doctors always complaining about their working conditions, unhygenic hospitals (MRSA), important operations being cancelled....

But I've never had any hugely serious health problems, so I don't have vast amounts of experience. And I don't like hospitals.

It's not free. It's called tax.

Yeah there are alot of problems with. More people are getting insurance and going private these days

Here, we wait weeks for an appointment. If not, 1-2H MAX in clinic 6-12H MAX in hospitals. Yeah, that's all thanks to these idiots that goes there for a stupid cold.

Back
Top Bottom