Paging file

=xXFoRsAkEnXx=

Baseband Member
i dont know if i should disable page file altogther or not.

Right now i partioned my disk and put my page file on it

inital page file size: 1533mb
max size: 1533mb

is it set right? or should i just disable it altogether? how much performance do you lose by using it?

No. You only have 1gb ram. Thats not enough. You need at least 2gb of ram, to turn off the page file and increase performance. But if you do it with anything less then that, then, you drop performacne.

Well you dont have a choice unless you get more ram. Personally.. If you into games. Which with your computers, because intigrated video you arnt. Then.. Your fine. I mean, get a good graphics card, (128 bit interface or better, and 256 onboard ram or better) and another gig of ram. Then sure, turn it off. Because the hard drive stops using the page file. Also known as virtual memory. But for your current setup, their is no need. You wont receice a performance boost. Maybe mutlitasking. But your processor is so fast (exact same as mine), that you can already multitask like there is no tomorrow. So your current setup is fine. Dont worry about the page file. Unless you plan on getting new ram.

im going to bed, ill help you in the morning. sorry dude, night.

thanks man for helping me...

i just am not sure how to program, but i have explored inside the pc so i'm kinda sure that i can install the graphics card... i do know i have a pci x16 slot.. not sure which brand i want, nvidia or ati... i heard nvidia has higher fps though but yeah i need multi tasking cause i watch dvds on my tv-out and i am downloading music, plus 3 internet explorers... so i'll need the ram, three months ago i was using a p3 700 mhz, 192 mb 100 mhz ram and a 64 mb integrated video card computer... lol that computer locked up every 10 minutes.

I would never disable the pagefile. Some of my games will not even start and I have 2 gs of ram

Play your most memory demanding game then hit "ctrl alt delete" and look at PEAK or PF usage. If its like 1.2gs then set the pagefile to something that would have no problem for that like 1700

Nice guide over here.. www.tweakguides.com Download the guide he talks about the pagefile

ive turned mine off and everything runs fine, but i see no difference in performance at all lol, i guess i havent tried a demanding enough game to get into the 2 gig range

Well, i dont think Dell makes ram, they just buy it off another company so i think Kingston would win by deafult...To me the best ram is made by Corsair and OCZ

Back
Top Bottom