AIM Screeners

fhned

Beta member
Please forgive me if this is the wrong board, as I am new here.

My son goes on AIM the minute he gets home from school to 7 PM. He usually takes a nap, and then goes on until bedtime. I've asked him what he was doing on there, and he refuses to tell me. Whenever I enter the room, even if I have no desire to go on the computer he starts screaming, "what do you want?" And when I tell him I need to go on the computer he screams "i got to x out my stuff!" and panics if I go near the computer while he still has windows open.

I'm 99% sure he's not doing anything wrong. But as a parent I feel I have the right to see what my children are doing on the computer. Are there any programs that allow me to screen everything written on AIM, or save or just record all the messages?

Any regualr keylogger will do. You dont need any inpeticuar for aim. But mind if you get a keylogger, it loggs everything he types. Passwords, aim convorsations, msn convorsations ect.. And also, if hes a teenager, and talking with girls.. Welll, im just going to say you might not be ready for what you will read.

Many kids appear to be doing this, my sister does too.

Chances are that he is not doing anything wrong; it is good that you understand this.

He just wants to socialize with his friends, it is a good way to be able to speak to his friends, and is cheaper than being on the phone all day.

It would be best to not attempt to log or save any of his conversations. The only time you need to be concerned with is if someone is harassing him. The best thing to do would be to make sure that he has the information and knowledge to be able to make his own decisions about the computer, and ask you for help if he needs it.

Try to make sure that things are moving in a positive direction, and try not to put unreasonable restrictions on his time on the computer. Things like "No computer at 4 in the morning" or "Finish your homework before you go on AIM" are reasonable. Things like: "No computer during the week" are not reasonable. There is so much that can be learned on the internet, restricting information like that will not be beneficial.

My parents gave me complete, unrestricted access to the computer ever since I was in 7th grade. I now know over 10 programming languages, and I am making money working on websites and programs from home (I am now 17, and in 11th grade). If they restricted my access to the computer like that, I would not know what I do today.

Unless you have reason to believe that he is doing something wrong, do not bother with it. He closes his windows because he wants privacy; installing logging software will not help that.

Back
Top Bottom