Computer wont power up

Rock217

Baseband Member
I purchased a new computer 4 weeks ago with plans of using a router and connecting my old computer which I would place in my Daughters room.
I hooked up the router today and when setting up the old computer : pluged in the power cord to a surge protector and heard a couple of "sizzling" sounds.Now the old computer wont power up.
What could be the problem?
The computer ran fine when it was being used as my main computer. What effect would having it sit unpluged for 4 weeks have, if any?
I removed the case and looked around for any loose wires but that is about the extent of my expertice.
Thanks.

them sizzling sounds dont sound good. maybe you burned something within the computer which is bad but might not be that. being unplugged for 4 weeks shouldnt do anything whatsoever. i had a pc lying around for 3 years and worked when plugged in. the power supply may also have failed.

if u heard sizzling then u might have fried something, try plugging it somewhere else and see if it works, if not then its dead, since u dont seem to know a whole lot about comps i suggest taking it to a computer repair shop and asking them to find out what exactly got fried

It sounds like a Proccessor or Powersupply problem because I've encountred these problems before, If your pc is really old then I would'nt bother upgrading or re fixing.

The computer is a 6 year old HP.
If I could get it running at a fairly low cost it would be worth it to me to let my kids use it primarly to IM and search the internet.
Other than replacing parts, is there a way to check if it is the power supply? How much would a power supply cost?
Thanks

The only way I could think of testing it is put it in a working computer, but it will take too much work but it's the only way I'm afraid.

A little more info: When pluged in the fan does not run. Would this indicate that it is the power supply and maybe nothing else?
Also: I see Bestec model atx100-5 power supplys listed on e-bay ( that's whats in there now) that are 250w. Mine is 100w. Will the 250w work?
Thanks

no, because the fans turn on when the computer is on, its most likely a powersupply problem, if you have a tigerdirect near you or compusa, or bestbuy call them and get some quotes on repair prices

Back
Top Bottom