need a little help.

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
hi,
here is my problem. i have got my hands on a old compaq notebook, with 98 on it. it has a pcmia slot on it which i would like to put a wireless card in. the wireless card needs a o/s of 98se or better! well i have a 98se disk, and i have a boot disk as well.
but how do i go about formatting the hdd in the laptop from the bootdisk?
i have the command "A:\" if i type FDSIK in it comes up bad command prompt.
where do i go from there.
i have only ever used xp so i am at a lose here.
cheers in advance.
woz

he wants to put 98SE. what you do is on the A:\ command, type format C: and press yes when it prompts you if you wanna format

format c:
BAD COMAND OR FILENAME !!!
could the fact that it is a compaq, it wont let me format the hdd?
woz

ok. at the A:\ prompt, type fdisk , then press the delete parition button and delete all the partitions. then go to make new partition (the first one), and make it. restart the computer, and at the A:\ prompt, once again write format c: but this time make sure that c: is actially the system drive of the computer

typing "fdisk" produces the same bad command response!
what if i press f8 on boot up and go to command prompt only? it takes me then to C:\ where i CAN type fdisk and get response.
ther i get the option to
1. create dos partition for logical dos drive.
2. set active partition
3. delete partition or logical dos drive
4. display partitioninformation.

k. good job. now from what you did, press delete partition, and follow the rest of my instructions. but remember to restart your computer before doing format c: (not from fdisk)

insert cd. at command prompt type in d:\setup or what ever letter represents your cd drive

Back
Top Bottom