Which way should the PSU fan face?

TRDCorolla said:
Oh, that kind of sucks. I was hoping for the opposite. I guess it's all right. I'm sure my system can handle the additional heat it pumps into the case.

It doesnt! When a PSU is running, it gets extremely hot inside, which is why they go boom, so if the air is being taken out, then it should last longer, just put an outake on the case and you'll be fine, it'll affect system by 2C max

It shouldn't pose a problem for me. I've got like 10 fans in there anyways. All strategically placed. Can't wait to get it going. I also ordered a new D-Link USB wireless adapter. My first ever USB adapter. Can't wait to see how that works. That's what you call networking made to go. Imagine going to a friends house and setup my USB wireless adapter to their computer. Bam, instant internet.

it should face down, i can see from the pics which way the fans blow and the bottom one is an intake, although there are some cases that put a hole at the top just for this reason so the psu can take in cool air

I'm going to install it face down then. Majority rules, haha.

Anyways, my PSU and D-Link USB wireless adapter is coming in today. UPS tracking says it is out for delivery in my area already!! Man Newegg is super duper fast. I ordered this stuff on Sunday evening and bam, I could get my parts this morning (Tuesday). Two business days. Wow. I don't know what I would do without Newegg. *tears*

I thought the screwholes in PSU's were positioned so that they could only be installed in one position anyway? Maybe I'm missing something :confused:

Airwalker said:
I thought the screwholes in PSU's were positioned so that they could only be installed in one position anyway? Maybe I'm missing something :confused:

You're right, and it will only work with the fan facing down on the particular psu

My case is a bit different. I have lots of holes where the screws can be repositioned. That is why I needed suggestions for best airflow. I could put it either way. Seriously.

Well, I put it down like everyone suggest. Got everything installed including my USB wireless adapter. TRDCorolla is back in the house. PC up and running at full power. 500watt power, hehe. I'm going to monitor the temps to see how that extra fan works. So far, I can't tell whether it blows or sucks. I even put my hand underneath it to check. It doesn't matter, anyways. I've got fans all over the place.

Now for my review of this PSU. The power cables are extra long so it OWNS as far as flexibility goes. Doesn't matter how far apart your devices are, it will guarantee to reach. It comes with 2 SATA power connector which I am using for the very first time. I ran off of a 4 pin molex before. It's got two floppy power connectors which I have no idea why. Who uses 2 floppy drives anyways?

The fans are thermal controlled meaning it will adjust to heat. It's too early to make a lot of presumptions so I will attempt burn in process. It's a quiet PSU and lightweight which surprises me for a 500watt unit. The motherboard connector is neat as it is a 24 pin, but the other 4 pin can pop out if your motherboard only takes 20 pin like mine. Then there's the separate 4 pin 12V for the CPU. Lots of connections. Only downside is the length of the cables can get pretty messy if you don't organize it well.

As far as the USB wirless adapter, it's as if I'm using a regular ethernet cable but not. Fast connection as usual. No significant degradation or dropoffs. D-Link once again, proved themselves on being one of the best in manufacturing network devices.

Back
Top Bottom