new power supply

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
when i got my comp i got a coolermaster 550W powersupply because i knew nothing about them at the time, ive just been on the DFI forums and they say it could be holding me back in overclocking cause its a bad PSU, so im thinking about getting the OCZ powerstream is that a good idea?

What do they mean by holding you back? What sort of voltage ratings does it have cause I don't imagine it could be that bad.

Well i can maybe see what they're saying about it not being the greatest. The 12V is rated a little low. But still, it's not that big of a deal.

edit - well, just to ask, how much more were you planning to overclock?

i was hoping to get my cpu to 2.7GHz and maybe overclock my ram a little because right now it wont budge over the default clock speed without getting tons of errors on memtest

I dont see how a power supply really can hold you back from OC. I doubt that if you buy it, youll be able to OC any better jusy my opinion...

Keep in mind that a more efficient powersupply has a possible chance to save you money on the electricity bill. OCZ Powerstreams are very good power supplies. If you are running an SLI setup, dont get 2 12V rails, get a single 12V rail. Why? Because one 12V rail goes to the video cards, one goes to the cpu and other things. If your video cards need more juice, its impossible to get it. Now, if you have one 12V rail, your video cards can keep on drawing more and more current. Get the OCZ powerstream. Powersupplies are usually the number one thing holding people back on an OC. If the rails are not stable, they will droop under load and cause instability. I have seen the 12V rail go as low as 11.2V on a cheap powersupply. THe OCZ Powerstream and many other top powersupplies will only fluctuate roughly <.1V.

Back
Top Bottom