windows ME nightmare

ACES WILD

Daemon Poster
okay here is the issue, one of my friends brings to me an older HP pavillion running windows me saying it wont boot, except into safe mode, but in safe mode when they tried to use the system restore utility, but windows still wont boot, thus arises a new dilemma, he wants to save the Files in his my documents but the optical drives dont read in safe mode, does anyone know of a way to enable optical drives in safe mode so i can burn the data to a disc and just reformat re-install? i tried to use a usb thumb drive, but it needs drivers to work with ME, and it wont let me install the drivers in safe mode X.X. so is this data DOA or is there some way i can get it off there, i think the reason it wont boot normal windows is due to a driver issue but i cant tell which one, ive run norton and MS anti-Spyware and they havent picked up anything virus or spyware related. any help would be appreciated :D

how about installing xp over it which should wipe out the bugs and allow you into normal mode. you can then save your data and even go back to ME after (if you really want to)

I would take the hard drive out of the computer and install it into another computer and set it as a slave. Then you can copy the files onto the other hard drive and burn them there (providing there is a burner in the other computer). Then put the hard drive back in the first computer and format and reinstall windows on it and then add the files back to it from the cd's.

Tommy Boy said:
I would take the hard drive out of the computer and install it into another computer and set it as a slave. Then you can copy the files onto the other hard drive and burn them there (providing there is a burner in the other computer). Then put the hard drive back in the first computer and format and reinstall windows on it and then add the files back to it from the cd's.
I dont think that would work because when you would try to access all the data on the drive it will say access denied.

not necesserily. should work if set up correctly and if the ME hdd isnt completely screwed

_Niko said:
I dont think that would work because when you would try to access all the data on the drive it will say access denied.
no it wouldn't, you would be able to access all the files on the drive no matter what operating system you have on it. you just have to be sure to set it up properly with the slave jumper setting which should be right on the hard drive.

_Niko said:

What the hell, you can be running any OS and you would still be able to get files from it.

when you put it in a pc as a slave, you aren't actually running the OS on the hard drive, it's just a slave meaning its a secondary storage drive in that setting and you can access anything on it.

Back
Top Bottom