Questions based on HT technology and RAM

Well if its 300 then we can get a 7800 or maybe 7900...Its all oon you and ur budget. Make sure you have pci-e 16x i would pop the case open and make sure before you buy anything

but i'm getting like 45-70 framerate with dod.. same thing with bf2. not the best but. i think maybe some ram might help.. also i'm not sure where to buy the ram.. good quality PC2-4200 DDR2 533MHz 240 pin...

=xXFoRsAkEnXx= said:
Specs:
Also what is with this HT technology bs.. if i am only using one application what good is HT technology? whatever i dont get it..

HT = Hyper threading technology in lamence terms tricks the processor into think that their are actually two processors, when their is only one. What you end up with is a physical processor (the one thats actually their) and a logical processor that the computer thinks is their. In this way the processor can divy up the workload, and increase peformance during multi-tasking. However a lot of people say that since the processor has to devote some cpu usage to creating the logical processor, that during games this extra cpu usage is a disadvantage, rather then an advantage.

EDIT:

As for where to get ram; www.newegg.com
Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, and Kingston are four very reliable companies. Try to stick with them, their are many other good makers of quality ram, but for a novice its better to play it safe and stick with these companies.

so my framerate is suffering from this HT bullsh*t.. its only good for multitasking, omfg.. ok and i have 4 slots for ram and 2 of them are 512s...if all of them are 512's will that up my performance..(dual channel interleaved over 4 ram modules) or does it matter if i get a different size memory?

=xXFoRsAkEnXx= said:
so my framerate is suffering from this HT bullsh*t.. its only good for multitasking, omfg.. ok and i have 4 slots for ram and 2 of them are 512s...if all of them are 512's will that up my performance..(dual channel interleaved over 4 ram modules) or does it matter if i get a different size memory?

if it is hindering your gaming peformance it isnt much. The point i was really trying to convey was that it wasn't helping. Yes more ram will help, more ram is always better. For simplicity sake, you want to get the same kind of ram as you currently have in your system. Use everest home edition to determine what ram you have currently. You can get a different size of ram, but you want to make sure certain aspects are the same, for example you could bye a 1gb stick instead of sticking in another 2x 512mb sticks if you felt compelled to do so.

yeah i got sandra for that, i'm wondering if i will get more performance if i match the density of my current ram modules...

=xXFoRsAkEnXx= said:
Specs:
Dell Dimension E510
3.0 P4 HT
Intel Chipset
1024 RAM
Intergrated radeon 256 x600se
Intergrated Ethernet
Intergrated Sound

ok i have 1024 mb of ram but because my ati 256mb video card is intergrated and because of my processes when i start up it leaves me with only 621mb of ram.. now i play dod source..ALOT and i want to know if i should insert another 512 (2x256).... will my computer lag if i dont use all of my ram? and also my computer kinda like freezes sometimes, knocks me out of steam alot.. could i have faulty ram or is it because its a new computer? (bought it 3 weeks ago)...

Also what is with this HT technology bs.. if i am only using one application what good is HT technology? whatever i dont get it..

Yet again.. everything on my computer is intergrated and i know the negitives of that.. but is there any positives?

i hope you guys can put it the time to answer this questions.. it will be greatly appreciated

We have the same computer!!

Ok.. Anyways.. Well, only getting another 512mb of ram really wont help out out. Although get another gig, and turn off windows page file, and you will have a nice little machine. The page file, better known as virtual memory, is ram, that uses the hard drive. So instead of using ram sticks, it has its own little section on the hard drive, and is the same basic prinipal. But with the hard drive doing so much at once and then putting the page file on top of it, well that really slows down the machine. But windows will automaticly turn off the page file for you. And with that, you have a very nice computer! Helps in games alot!

=xXFoRsAkEnXx= said:
HT technology is not bad, and if ur so worried about it just disable it in the bois, and as for the PF i wouldn't turn it off unless u have at least 512MB free, play it safe cuz running anything else in your background will take more RAM and ur PF is currently freeing some RAM so u will have even less when you turn it off

Since you have 4 slots, the sticks of memory you have now have to be in slots 1 & 3. If you decide on another 512, it will go in #3. If you decide to go with 1Gb stick, then it has to go in #1. I would go with 1 gb, myself. you will have to disable on-board video from within the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom