AGP Nvidia 6800 GS

Kage said:
Yeah you can unlock pipelines on the AGP version since it still uses the G70 core.
The one for PCI-E uses a different core that actually doesn't have them to unlock.

So its actually better to have AGP for that card :p Though the PCI-E version is very overclockable to make up for it.

its not the G70. Its the NV40 core. G70 is for 7 series. NV40 is fully unlockable.

Ah right, bit of confusion there then :p Got them mixed up :eek:

I believe the 6800GS is very future proof if you want to boost an older system, and should last around 3 years easy with new games, though if you want to run at full settings at 1600 type resoloutions, it won't do you for very long at all, but for me, where the max i can run games at is 1280x1024, it should last me a bit longer.

Quake 4 for example on its standard clock at full resoloution and full settings doesn't give you a very good playing field at all.

Definietly longer than mine of now. Plus it supports Shader Model 3, and since its overclockable, its got a lot going for it that reviews will probably state.

The 6800 GS is the equivalent of the 6800 GT. The PCI-E variant is cheaper and runs cooler since it uses the NV42 core which is made with the 110nm process, unlike the AGP variant which uses the NV40 core on the 130nm process. However, this meant that nVIDIA didn't need to use a HSI (High-Speed Interconnect) chip to convert signals from PCI-E to AGP, like the 6600's did. Basically, the 6800 GS AGP is basically a dumbed down, but substantially faster 6800 GT. You're kinda lucky too, since the NV40 can be completely modded and unlocked. The PCI-E version uses the NV42 core which is completely locked down.

Yes, I plan to :D

Since I have AGP, the doors open to me really, and should last me a while.

I've got the 9800 PRO 128mb at the moment and was playing Doom 3 today.
I could set it to 1280x1024 with High settings, and 2x antialising and I got around 20-60fps, and that actually, though not smooth in places, didn't jerk either, and I'm actually happy with that.

So the 6800GS card should keep me happy for a VERY long time.

Though, hehe, I played Half Life 2 Lost Coast, and ran the video stress test, and got an average of 24fps, with the lowest being 9fps!!! oh dear... at 1280x1024 and 2x antialising (set it to 0x and it didn't make a difference on the fps)

EDIT:

WOW... I've just looked for prices on the Evga version, and £180-£190 was the figure given on a site I looked at. Thats like... too expensive for me.

I expected it, from what I looked at at first to be around £140-£150 mark.

Just seems a tad bit expensive because for £50 more ontop, if I had PCI-E, I could get a 7800GT.

Anywhere cheaper that ships to UK? :p

I've found this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=314618

That price seems okay really, but is made by XFX. I believe those would be alright though. The Evga version is over £30 more, making it a bit... wasteful.

EDIT:

I've read on a review though:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/314/3/

That sometimes, the extra quad can be damaged since its not meant to be turned on, so when you do turn it on, you can get pixelisations on the screen, etc. If your lucky though, it says you can unlock both no problem, so that means I have a chance of buying it, and either being able to, or not in some cases.

That sucks :eek: :(

Thanks, and I think I'll go for XFX just for the cheapness :p

I'll buy it in next frew days and I'll keep you updated. I'll need a new cooler if I'm going to overclock it much, and I won't have that for a while, but I wouldn't mind unlocking!!!

well since you'll be needing a new cooler i recommend the zalman, ive used it and i have to say its one of the best out there and better than the NV5 silencer which a lot of people say is better, i would know since i have both :p

Back
Top Bottom