Help!I can't download anything, i think zonealarm messed up my computer

RedTerror13

Solid State Member
I downloaded zonealarm pro a few months ago, and upgraded it to the pro version with a key generator. I was using it for security, and i was planning on using it for bridging on Halo 2 on xbox live. I think it conflicted with my other anti-virus programs or something (I don't really know anything about computers). Anyway, for a few months, I haven't been able to download anything off of the internet. It says "unable to connect to the internet", even though I am able to browse websites. Also, anytime I change any settings on my computer, it will not update them or keep them that way. For example, if I take my firewall off it won't stay off when i hit apply or ok. Also, when I turn off my pop up blocker it doesn't stay off. I've tried removing all zonealarm files, and I'm not even sure if thats been the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would get my computer to let me download things and update settings again?

thats really odd and i don't know where to start.... have you tried disabling your other protection programs? and what says unable to connect, are you using IE or firefox?

ZoneAlarm is awful. Get rid of it.

I had it once, it permanently blocked all my ports including 80. I had to reformat, it wouldn't fix itself at all.

As far was I know, I'm not using a download manager. Also, I'm connected through internet explorer. my anti virus program is AVG free edition. Ok what's really pissing me off is that when i go to turn off my firewall in windows security center, it won't let me. It says zonealarm pro firewall is on. Is there any way I could get to it? Because I've deleted every kind of zonealarm related file on my computer, and still in windows security ceter it shows zonealarm pro as my firewall.

UK31337 said:
ZoneAlarm is awful. Get rid of it.

I had it once, it permanently blocked all my ports including 80. I had to reformat, it wouldn't fix itself at all.

What do you use?

And as RedTerror13 is concerened...

1) Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the task manager and find any instances of Zone Alamrm and end them.

2) Go into Control Panel - Switch To Classic View - Security Centre - Advanced - Firewall - Recommendations - Uncheck "I have a firewall solution that I monitor myself" - Click OK.

3) While still in Control Panel - Windows Firewall - On - OK.

Done...

That should work.

I've tried that before, there are none, which I think is realy odd. When i've searched zone alarm, zone, zone labs, etc, even for hidden files and other options, and still couldn't find anything on it. I've also used a program called xcleaner that scans for spyware, adware, etc and I used registry editor and I can't find anything zonealarm related. Its like it isn't there, but only through security center I can see that its controlling my firewall, and that is blocking everything.

wow this is bad...when I click on "switch to classic view" it doesn't do anything. It just brings up the hint saying "classic view displays all control panel icons". Is there anything else I can do? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom