2 issues....

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
They are both fairly minor, but anyway, here it goes. The first thing really isn't that big of a deal because I can just reformat and that would be that, but I really don't feel like it. So anyway, I haven't done an error check for my hdd in several months. Today I decided I would for the heck of it since it's been so long. When I restarted, it gave me a message at the beginning of the check saying, "Cannot open volume for direct access." The second sentence I don't really remember, but it was something along the lines of "Check is now finishing, etc." I don't know why it wouldn't be able to access the hdd, but like I said, not too big a deal or anything, just kind of odd. Now the second thing is sort of something I'm used to. Something I've been dealing with ever since I bought and built this computer early Feb of last year. I had these weird memory problems that would just completely mess up my comp in as many ways possible. I mean the computer was practically unusable, just total hell. It took me awhile to figure out it was the ram, but when I got Newegg to give me a new pair over summer, the problems were fixed....for 2-3 months that is. The computer started to restart randomly and then the monitor would stay idle, meaning the comp wouldn't turn off, it would just restart out of nowhere, but the monitor wouldn't go back on. Anyway, I fixed this by taking out one of the ram sticks and it actually solved it. Sure, I had to use just one stick which would decrease my performance, but hey, at least it worked. Little did I know, a few months later the same thing would happen, so I had to take that stick out, replace it with my sister's old computer's 256MB PC-2100 ram stick. Yeah, it's terrible, but for right now it's all I got. So, I've been using this crappy stick for about 2 months now and no problems (other than the fact that my computer performs A LOT worse, makes me realize just how impirtant ram is). Which makes me wonder, has it been the ram this whole time? Or has it been the motherboard's ram slots which have been defecting the ram or sending the wrong data which makes them work improperly? I really don't know. I haven't fully investigated it (put the sticks in different slots, memtesting one of the sticks, etc.). But really, those are my only options and if this stick I'm using now suddenly goes out, I'll know for sure it's my mobo. Not that I want it to be my mobo, because then I would pretty much have to rebuild the whole thing since that's where all the pieces plug into, not to mention the money I'd be paying. I'd rather just know it's been my ram this whole time, and then I'll boycott Crucial and burn the building down. :)

Thanks to all who help. Also, ask me anything you might need to know in order to help. I'll obviously be willing to answer if it will help me in the long run and solve this stupid ram issue once and for all.

OH MY GOD! GIANT PARAGRAPH.. HURTS EYES!

winterfreshpwnz said:
They are both fairly minor, but anyway, here it goes. The first thing really isn't that big of a deal because I can just reformat and that would be that, but I really don't feel like it.

So anyway, I haven't done an error check for my hdd in several months. Today I decided I would for the heck of it since it's been so long. When I restarted, it gave me a message at the beginning of the check saying, "Cannot open volume for direct access." The second sentence I don't really remember, but it was something along the lines of "Check is now finishing, etc." I don't know why it wouldn't be able to access the hdd, but like I said, not too big a deal or anything, just kind of odd.

Now the second thing is sort of something I'm used to. Something I've been dealing with ever since I bought and built this computer early Feb of last year.

I had these weird memory problems that would just completely mess up my comp in as many ways possible. I mean the computer was practically unusable, just total hell. It took me awhile to figure out it was the ram, but when I got Newegg to give me a new pair over summer, the problems were fixed....for 2-3 months that is. The computer started to restart randomly and then the monitor would stay idle, meaning the comp wouldn't turn off, it would just restart out of nowhere, but the monitor wouldn't go back on. Anyway, I fixed this by taking out one of the ram sticks and it actually solved it. Sure, I had to use just one stick which would decrease my performance, but hey, at least it worked. Little did I know, a few months later the same thing would happen, so I had to take that stick out, replace it with my sister's old computer's 256MB PC-2100 ram stick.

Yeah, it's terrible, but for right now it's all I got. So, I've been using this crappy stick for about 2 months now and no problems (other than the fact that my computer performs A LOT worse, makes me realize just how impirtant ram is). Which makes me wonder, has it been the ram this whole time? Or has it been the motherboard's ram slots which have been defecting the ram or sending the wrong data which makes them work improperly? I really don't know. I haven't fully investigated it (put the sticks in different slots, memtesting one of the sticks, etc.).

But really, those are my only options and if this stick I'm using now suddenly goes out, I'll know for sure it's my mobo. Not that I want it to be my mobo, because then I would pretty much have to rebuild the whole thing since that's where all the pieces plug into, not to mention the money I'd be paying. I'd rather just know it's been my ram this whole time, and then I'll boycott Crucial and burn the building down. :)

Thanks to all who help. Also, ask me anything you might need to know in order to help. I'll obviously be willing to answer if it will help me in the long run and solve this stupid ram issue once and for all.

Now give me a minute to read this ;)

Well, that, sounds like you have corupted data blocks on your drive. It works because it sealed its self off from the bad blockes.

And. It sounds like a weird ass (but none the less) defualty motherboard. So I think you will be needed a new one. Although, you can burn down the building just for laughs ;)

Well how do I make it so I can get to error check it again? I know I could just reformat, but I don't feel like doing all that. And yeah sorry for the long paragraph, got kinda lazy and didn't feel like making it all proper. But hey, at least I was spelling things correctly. :)

EDIT: And something else I just realized. When I bought the computer parts early Feb of last year, the Asus board, actually nForce 4 boards altogether, were just coming out. So as everyone knows, it's not farfetched to get hardware that's faulty and has bugs, etc. when it's just being released. I hate to think I was an unlucky one who got a messed up board, but it wouldn't be too surprising since those are the most messed up of their products until they later find problems and fix them.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt I'd get FOUR faulty sticks from Crucial, especially their Ballistix line which is at the time was top of the line ram (and still is). Not to mention that when I got the new pair from Newegg over summer, they worked fine at first and months later got messed up.

It would make the most sense for it to be the board. I just don't really want to admit it because I am so not ready to take this computer apart and rebuild it. Let alone buy a new mobo. :(

winterfreshpwnz said:
Well how do I make it so I can get to error check it again? I know I could just reformat, but I don't feel like doing all that. And yeah sorry for the long paragraph, got kinda lazy and didn't feel like making it all proper. But hey, at least I was spelling things correctly. :)

EDIT: And something else I just realized. When I bought the computer parts early Feb of last year, the Asus board, actually nForce 4 boards altogether, were just coming out. So as everyone knows, it's not farfetched to get hardware that's faulty and has bugs, etc. when it's just being released. I hate to think I was an unlucky one who got a messed up board, but it wouldn't be too surprising since those are the most messed up of their products until they later find problems and fix them.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt I'd get FOUR faulty sticks from Crucial, especially their Ballistix line which is at the time was top of the line ram (and still is). Not to mention that when I got the new pair from Newegg over summer, they worked fine at first and months later got messed up.

It would make the most sense for it to be the board. I just don't really want to admit it because I am so not ready to take this computer apart and rebuild it. Let alone buy a new mobo. :(

Well. Im conviced it is the board. Id offer to depart/fix your computer, but shipping would be hell. And you obviously dont trust me. Lol, anyways...

Id say get a new board. You really have no choice.

Of course burning things makes everyone feel better ;)

lol what do you mean don't trust you? and yeah I guess I gotta start lookin for mobos now. FUUUUUN!!!

oh yeah and where exactly do I type that stuff? I'm assuming start>run>chkdsk c:

Well.. I was meaning like, you obviously dont wanna do it. So you could send me the tower, and id do it. Because I like to. But, even if you wanted to ship it of somewhere to do it. You wouldnt send it to me. Why? Because you dont trust me. Why? Because you dont know me. Do I blame you? Not at all. Just good common sense, not to ship it to someone you dont know :D
Although when I said that, I assume you thought I ment just shopping for you kind of thing.

Lol but ill help you shop for a mobo too. Whats the rest of your computer specs?

I think..

Start > run > cmd.exe > CHKDSK c: /F
F is the following
/F Automatically Fix file system errors on the disk.

Or
Start > run > cmd.exe > CHKDSK c: /R

R is the following:
/R Scan for and attempt Recovery of bad sectors.

I reccomend to try both. Cant hurt anything.

And if that doesnt work. Dont do it cmd.exe. Try just running it. Although, im 90% sure its in cmd.exe.

Oops didnt see sig. Im gonna go look for a mobo right quick.

EDIT>

What socket is it? And pci ex or agp?

Back
Top Bottom